Hi everyone. Sorry for the bad title and long post.
I usually travel a lot around the world because of the nature of my work. Roaming is always very expensive to me and really just depends on where I am.
My plan is to decouple my Signal/WhatsApp number from my cell calls numbers. i.e. I’d like to always have one permanent number that is not tied to any particular carrier or country (Twilio comes to mind) and ephemeral numbers depending on where I currently am in the world.
It’s much easier and cheaper to grab a local sim card at the airport, pop it into my phone and use it for the remainder of the trip while also maintaining my Signal/WhatsApp social graph.
I never plan on registering Signal/WhatsApp on any ephermal number so I don’t confuse my contacts, natrually they’ll ask “Why can’t I find you on WhatsApp?” and then I’ll give them my permanent number and call it my “WhatsApp number”
You might be wondering, why not get a phone number from your home country to be used as the permanent number?
Well, multiple reasons,
- A bill that doesn’t stop regardless whether I’m using my number or not.
- What if i relocate somewhere? Having to use “change number” feature in messengers or spam people “hey this is my new number” is confusing and I’ll definitely lose some of my social graph.
My criteria is somewhat simple:
- A service that doesn’t need me to have a phone number for verification to use the service.
- None of that weird verification “send us your driver’s license/ssn” kinda stuff, that’s just creepy.
- A reputable service that won’t disappear tomorrow.
Ideally: Take my money, give me a number that can receive SMS and is not blacklisted by messengers.
So what services do you recommend? And what do you think of my plan? Do you have past experiences that relates to what I’m trying to do?