Improvements to the File Sharing and Sync Section

This is a continuation of Add Lufi as the conversation seems to have diverged from the original topic of Lufi, and more into how we can improve the page in question.

the file sharing sections is severely limited in its offering.

This is something that I completely agree with. The file sharing and sync page needs some love.

Things that we could do:

• Remove FreedomBox as it is quite out of place in that page
  • Have an admonition that mentions software that we recommend in other pages that offer file sharing capabilities (such Bitwarden with its Bitwarden Send feature, and Proton Drive, which allows you to share files youā€™ve uploaded to your drive with a link, and optionally a password).

From there, we could consider new software, but I donā€™t think that Lufi is something that weā€™d be comfortable recommending today, seeing as itā€™s not clear whether development of it is still active.

2 Likes

One can use the Wormhole Protocol(Open Source) for transferring files.
Or
The Wormhole Service (Not Open Source) for the same (E2EE)

Magic Wormhole was removed. Discussion: Change magic-wormhole to different implementation Ā· privacyguides Ā· Discussion #58 Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Was not aware of this, Thanks for pointing it out.

Fair enough. Although this does not need to be done today so, since adding items to the file sharing list would be good, it seems worth it to take a minute to ask the dev(s) of Lufi what the status is. Send.vis.ee seems still under active development/maintenance.
I do think itā€™s good to include items that donā€™t require software/accounts (by contrast with Bitwarden or Proton), because 1/ not everyone has these software/accounts and 2/ users may want to share files without linking to their use of Bitwarden or Proton, for instance. I have encrypted storage, but I would rather use separate tools when sharing files with non-family/friends.

2 Likes

We have an update regarding the File Sharing section. We have since added Send (and ffsend) to the site:

I think that we know provide a new assortment of tools with different use cases in this page.

However, I still think we should do this:

Have an admonition that mentions software that we recommend in other pages that offer file sharing capabilities (such Bitwarden with its Bitwarden Send feature, and Proton Drive, which allows you to share files youā€™ve uploaded to your drive with a link, and optionally a password).

Thoughts?

I think the biggest crime on PG and specifically the File Sharing and Sync page is not suggesting Rclone yet. Itā€™s a CLI tool and a somewhat experimental GUI is also available. This is the tool to handle all cloud storage drives without necessarily downloading an app for each different (proprietary) vendor. It also has encryption and can be used as a substitute for tools like Cryptomator.

On a different note, regarding drives and file sharing tools, what do we think of Tresorit, and more specifically, Tresorit Send?

1 Like

I strongly agree this should be added.

Yes, but not in an admonition (which should not be over-used). A (normal) sentence at the top of the page after the introduction saying something like this would suffice:

In addition to these file sharing recommendations, some of our recommended cloud storage providers and other recommended tools, like Bitwarden Send, have integrated file sharing capabilities.

1 Like

I think the biggest crime on PG and specifically the File Sharing and Sync page is not suggesting Rclone yet. Itā€™s a CLI tool and a somewhat experimental GUI is also available. This is the tool to handle all cloud storage drives without necessarily downloading an app for each different (proprietary) vendor. It also has encryption and can be used as a substitute for tools like Cryptomator.

Please make a new thread for this so that we can properly keep track of suggestions. I recall there being something I didnā€™t quite like about Rclone, but Iā€™m happy to revisit it.

Done here: Add Rclone

2 Likes

In addition to these file sharing recommendations, some of our recommended cloud storage providers and other recommended tools, like Bitwarden Send, have integrated file sharing capabilities.

We could do this, sounds good. Although, your example only vaguely mentions one of the options. I was thinking about something a bit more verbose that actually list all of the other tools we recommend that offer this functionality, instead of sending the reader to hunt for them across the site. Would that be too much, you think?

Iā€™m not opposed to that, but the idea was that our main recommendations were on this page, and we were just pointing out that some other tools incidentally do this same thing, so it serves as a reminder to people who might already be using say, Bitwarden, to check whether any of the tools they already use have this feature, rather than a fully enumerated list of every option available.

But I see value in either option, Iā€™m fine with whatever you think looks best.

The reason I was thinking about enumerating all of the options is so that I can tackle the general issue of tools that fall under multiple categories without listing them in multiple pages with full-blown cards.

This comes to mind: Mention Cryptee in the Notebooks page in addition to the Cloud page

If we standardize the way we do this, we could for example then mention Crypteen in the Notebook section without having to repeat the card (which I absolutely do not want to do).