February 14, 2023, 6:36pm
I think FreedomBox needs to be moved off of
File Sharing and Sync - Privacy Guides and either put on a new “Server OS” category or removed entirely. It just doesn’t make sense where it is as-is.
I think recommending server operating systems has been suggested before but I can’t find the discussion, but it might make sense given the number of things we recommend self-hosting.
February 14, 2023, 6:38pm
Yes it was never really supposed to be there, the plan was to move it to the Hardware page.
07:25AM - 10 Jan 23 UTC
Resolves #1899, resolves #1864
- [x] Laptop vendors shipping malware/adware
… - [x] Hardware keys
- [x] Dead man switches
- [x] USB "condoms"
- [x] TPM's/hardware security chips
- [x] Biometrics
- [x] Webcam/microphone blocking
- [x] Privacy screens
- [x] Routers/Networking devices
- [x] Encrypted Drives
- [x] Anti-Interdiction
<!-- SCROLL TO BOTTOM TO AGREE!:
Please use a descriptive title for your PR, it will be included in our changelog!
Please share with us what you've changed.
If you are adding a software recommendation, give us a link to its website or
If you are making changes that you have a conflict of interest with, please
disclose this as well (this does not disqualify your PR by any means):
Conflict of interest contributions involve contributing about yourself,
family, friends, clients, employers, or your financial and other relationships.
Any external relationship can trigger a conflict of interest.
That someone has a conflict of interest is a description of a situation,
NOT a judgement about that person's opinions, integrity, or good faith.
If you have a conflict of interest, you MUST disclose who is paying you for
this contribution, who the client is (if for example, you are being paid by
an advertising agency), and any other relevant affiliations.
- [x] Please check this box to confirm you have disclosed any relevant conflicts of interest in your post.
- [x] Please check this box to confirm your agreement to grant Privacy Guides a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, irrevocable license with the right to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of sublicensees, to reproduce, modify, display, perform, relicense, and distribute your contribution as part of our project.
- [x] Please check this box to confirm you are the sole author of this work, or that any additional authors will also reply to this PR on GitHub confirming their agreement to these terms.
<!-- What's this? When you submit a PR, you keep the Copyright for the work you
are contributing. We need you to agree to the above terms in order for us to
publish this contribution to our website. -->
Its a nice idea for people wanting to dip their feet in self hosting internally on their LAN inexpensively.
February 14, 2023, 6:40pm
I just came across it while creating criteria for that page, the hardware page is fine. I would say it still might be worth considering a server OS page instead if there are other easy-to-use systems like it though. Yunohost for example could be worth consideration? Sandstorm?
February 14, 2023, 7:02pm
Yeah possibly, could mention that there.