Move or Remove FreedomBox

I think FreedomBox needs to be moved off of File Sharing and Sync - Privacy Guides and either put on a new “Server OS” category or removed entirely. It just doesn’t make sense where it is as-is.

I think recommending server operating systems has been suggested before but I can’t find the discussion, but it might make sense given the number of things we recommend self-hosting.

Yes it was never really supposed to be there, the plan was to move it to the Hardware page.

Its a nice idea for people wanting to dip their feet in self hosting internally on their LAN inexpensively.

2 Likes

I just came across it while creating criteria for that page, the hardware page is fine. I would say it still might be worth considering a server OS page instead if there are other easy-to-use systems like it though. Yunohost for example could be worth consideration? Sandstorm?

3 Likes

Yeah possibly, could mention that there.

Any updates?

I see @jonah wanted to add Yunhost. What about Start9?

Edit: just saw the reply Solution by dngray.

User reviews of Umbrel look… extremely not promising. Anything like this which isn’t FOSS makes me think it’ll go the way of Cloudron. But I did get lead to this which could have potential:

I’m not sure these things work as flawlessly as the glossy website makes out.

Installing a package with curl -fsSL that doesn’t really track with the underlying system seems like it would be prone to all sorts of breakages when something changes underneath. Trying to support a heap of distributions seems like pointless duplication. If you’re using something like this I can’t see why you couldn’t just commit to a stable base.

In this situation it would have been smart to select something like rpm-ostree base on https://universal-blue.org. That way then they can focus purely on the UI and making that compatible with the base they’re using.

At the end of the day these OSes are basically just a GUI/status board around docker. I guess maybe we’ll give it some time and see.

1 Like

Yep, I came to the same conclusion after looking into it more yesterday. Turns out making a system that is actually usable by non-technical people is not as easy as slapping a UI on Docker lol

A NAS OS section would also be interesting.

In the case of CasaOS I can confirm that it is not ready to be handle over to a new user with no docker/linux knowledge. But I also think that overall self-hosting is a subject that by its nature, needs a technical background, so I wouldn’t stop recommending it because of that, I would tho, because it makes some stupid mistakes, like not adding passwords to SMB shares :grinning:

Automates lots of the process you need to to setup a selfhosted instance. But you can’t self host on your own hardware, need to use a VPS which is Hetzner or DigitalOcean only.

Some quotes in their Matrix chat:

Hello, is there a way to self host selfprivacy? I didnt find any links or docs for the vps/script/setup for a vps that isnt digital or hetzner

Not yet. We’re still working on a generic installer and will target Proxmox soon.

It’s also incredibly unsecure and doesn’t update the apps as often.

1 Like