Standard Notes NOT syncing

Devices : iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone

Issue:
Add a note and sync on ALL devices and NO sync happening
Shut down re open, still no sync!

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem before, worse thing is that my notes between my phone and my laptop weren’t synced even after manully syncing, it looked liked I was on 2 different sessions and there was nothing I could do.

This is an absolute shame since we have to subscribe for more than 40-50$

So I simply stopped using Standard Notes and I switched on Notesnook, wonderful application, you can put a different password on each note also.

1 Like

try to logout completely off all your devices and log back in (not just closing the app)

until it isn’t :slight_smile:

Why wouldn’t it be anymore ? And what exactly do you have against Notesnook?

It’s the same for all platforms when one is excited about something because it’s fresh and seemingly does what one wants. Then the quirks and nags come into view and the picture begins to get cracks and someone likes to view for alternatives again to see if they do it better / otherwise again.
I’ve seen this pattern by others in the note taking space repeatedly.

About Notesnook specifically:

• They tend to play down others (esp. Standard Notes)
  • NN still has not done security audits
  • NN is not encrypted at rest. every app could just grab the data and send it somewhere (or read the unencrypted data)
  • NN also had a huge blog post writing against bitwarden, that one should not trust such services with sensitive data when they could vanish
    meanwhile NN is also just a SaaS like them
  • the tactic of pushing others down to stand in a better light themselves is just not acting with the best intentions in mind
  • NN once posted about self hosting and how awfully complicated it is with Standard Notes. Yet it is dead easy with SN and Notesnook still has no self hosting solution.

With all this in mind I tend to avoid NN.

1 Like

My bad did that a couple of times and yes that worked.
Not going to do that every time I add notes.
Was brilliant until the latest update

sometimes they change something in the backend and one needs to refresh their session. should not be version specific. I don’t have issues for example - it asked me this morning for my login details but that was it.

they are also currently in a phase of implementing big new features soon that require some changes to the backend from time to time. as they are more of a rolling release model, they update things often and continuously.

No security audit doesn’t mean It’s unsafe but you’re right it would be important in the future that NN does one.

But this requires a substantial budget, so you have to give them time. Other applications like SimpleX didn’t have a security audit until recently, yet we already had a pretty good idea of the quality of their service.

Encryption at rest is already planned in NN’s roadmap, and you can also encrypt individual notes so what you’re saying isn’t exactly true if you want to protect some specific notes inside your phone, NN allows you to do that.

“the tactic of pushing others down to stand in a better light themselves is just not acting with the best intentions in mind”

They’re not pushing down others, they’re just telling facts.

For example about pricing, how do you explain that Standard Notes offers such high prices with so many bugs and problems? You should take a look at their forums, the number of problems listed by users is extremely long. I was a long-time user of SN because I was hoping they would resolve all these major issues, but nothing, nada.

Since I switched to NN, I’ve had no more problems, even if the service isn’t perfect yet, I’ve got everything I need (if I have any sensitive notes, I can just lock them, etc.) and in the future the service will only get better.

They’re not pushing down others, they’re just telling facts.

I call it bad evil marketing.

in one of their blog posts they mention standard notes and in one row ask for h ow good or bad it is - why even mentioning that? let the product speak for itself, don’t like tweets from others that play down a competitor - this is just actively reducing the reputation of the competition.

this is just not doing business with the best intentions in mind, this is just about grabbing users at all costs. this leaves the question what mindset of the person behind it has…

you can also encrypt individual notes so what you’re saying isn’t exactly true if you want to protect some specific notes inside your phone, NN allows you to do that.

but for that I need a subscription and it is not secure by default

It is also not clear to me if a vault is encrypted on my disk or just an additional encryption layer on their servers.

All in all I like competition, just not at the expense of others.