Remove Nitter

Recently, users of Nitter have encountered rate-limiting errors, as summarized here.

It seems like https://nitter.net/username/with_replies and https://nitter.net/username/status are broken […] Multiuser seems to be broken aswell (https://nitter.net/user1,user2,user3) with and without /with_replies and /status.

The main developer, zedeus, recently provided an update on GitHub:

Guest accounts have been removed […] With real accounts getting rate limited immediately and likely banned, I don’t see any path forward for Nitter.

Very sad news, as this was, for me, the only way to access updates and humorous tweets from my favorite content creators

Yikes, yet another example of how Elon Musk somehow made an already bad service even worse

5 Likes

bummer this happened! Switched over to Squawker when this issue started making Nitter unreliable but, at this point, Squawker has its own problems, so not really any good alternative.

1 Like

Nitter is dead.

1 Like

That is one instance.

I think this is really going to require personal use/self hosting and not shared instances in order to avoid being rate limited.

One instance but more to come…

When the already created guest accounts that are kept in the app’s cache expire, then the feeds, profiles and searches won’t work anymore.

Wont personal instances be useless as well since the problem right now is the inability to create new guest accounts?

1 Like

Nope, it will eventually be all instances. Guest account creation is no longer possible so any existing guest accounts will expire soon (source: nitter.net certificate expired on 15:08:30 GMT · Issue #1155 · zedeus/nitter · GitHub), and then no instance will be usable anonymously. Hence why the creator is saying Nitter is dead.

The ONLY way to use nitter will be to use your account credentials, which means it’s NOT anonymous.

Well in that case. tbh I don’t use nitter/twitter so I hadn’t been keeping up with it.

Fair enough. I would suggest wait until all current guest accounts expire (which shouldn’t take longer than a month) and then nitter can be removed since no instances will work anymore.

We should create something like flash mob for deleting account in Twitter and moving to mastodon…

Here is some examples for such posts:

Templates
Moving to Mastodon! Twitter's privacy concerns pushed me away. Let's reconnect on a platform that values our freedom. Join me @username #MastodonAdventures
Switching from Twitter to Mastodon for better privacy and freedom. Don't want ads tailored to my every click? Neither do I! Reach out to me @username #FreedomOnMastodon
Embracing Mastodon after years on Twitter. The control and transparency are refreshing. Come along, let's spread the word! @username #JoinMastodon
Twitter's tracking is invasive. Mastodon offers a more private alternative. Join me in exploring a new social space! @username #NoMoreTracking
I'm leaving Twitter for Mastodon. Here's hoping for a safer, more open internet together. Share your thoughts @username #MastodonCommunity
Twitter's privacy issues led me to Mastodon. A place where your data isn't for sale. Hop on board, let's make a change! @username #MastodonRevolution
Time to say goodbye to Twitter's intrusive ads and data collection. Found a home on Mastodon where privacy matters. Invite your friends! @username #MastodonForward
Mastodon is my new home, offering the privacy and freedom I miss on Twitter. Let's build a stronger, more secure social network together. @username #MastodonIsBetter
Making the switch from Twitter to Mastodon. Less ads, more freedom. Want to join the movement? @username #LetUsMastodon

Please beware that Twitter can suspend you from posting anything for such content, so if you will post, keep in mind that you should leave Twitter permanently.

If PG does this, there should atleast be a caution stating that the service is currently dead and all working instances will cease to work once their guest tokens expire.

Jonah is already aware of this and mention it on the blog post ‘This Week in Privacy #7’.

Was about to suggest same thing :slight_smile: lets leave Twitter/X altogether, for good :slight_smile:

Wish it was that simple for me. The problem for me is Twitter/X is a great resource for news and a lot of the best journalists for whatever type of news (maybe Privacy news less so then others) you are into are only on Twitter.

What about the newspaper?

Not everyone I want to follow is in the newspaper. A lot of great journalists are in a variety of outlets, and a lot of them are paywalled these days. I can only afford so many subscriptions at a time.

Plus its not like there is only “the newspaper”. There are lots of them. Not every article is printed in everyone of them. Even if I just wanted to use newspapers, I may still end up needing multiple subscriptions.

Looks like now might be time.

See the message on https://nitter.cz

:cry:

EDIT: There are still a few instances working (this website can go to them https://twiiit.com/) so it’s not fully down YET.

Let’s create flash mob to ditch twitter!

My templates for posts:

#FreeTwitterExperience - Discover Mastodon, the ad-free alternative to Twitter Blue, offering unlimited tweets without the cost.

#NoAdsSocial - Experience social media without ads on Mastodon, a platform that respects your privacy and freedom of expression.

#ChronologicalFeed - Enjoy content in the order it’s posted on Mastodon, avoiding algorithmic bias that plagues mainstream social media.

#InDepthDiscussions - Dive into meaningful conversations on Mastodon, where thoughtful interactions are valued over shallow engagement.

#DiverseCommunity - Connect with a wide array of voices on Mastodon, a platform that celebrates diversity and inclusivity.

#EnhancedPrivacy - Take control of your online presence with Mastodon’s granular privacy settings, ensuring your content stays private.

#DecentralizedPlatform - Escape the control of a single entity by using Mastodon, a federated network of independent servers.

#InteroperableSocial - Extend your social interactions beyond Mastodon with ActivityPub, bridging different social networks.

#PersonalizedExperience - Customize your Mastodon experience with themes and rules, creating a social space that reflects your individuality.

Moving to Mastodon! Twitter’s privacy concerns pushed me away. Let’s reconnect on a platform that values our freedom. Join me @username #MastodonAdventures

Switching from Twitter to Mastodon for better privacy and freedom. Don’t want ads tailored to my every click? Neither do I! Reach out to me @username #FreedomOnMastodon

Embracing Mastodon after years on Twitter. The control and transparency are refreshing. Come along, let’s spread the word! @username #JoinMastodon

Twitter’s tracking is invasive. Mastodon offers a more private alternative. Join me in exploring a new social space! @username #NoMoreTracking

I’m leaving Twitter for Mastodon. Here’s hoping for a safer, more open internet together. Share your thoughts @username #MastodonCommunity

Twitter’s privacy issues led me to Mastodon. A place where your data isn’t for sale. Hop on board, let’s make a change! @username #MastodonRevolution

Time to say goodbye to Twitter’s intrusive ads and data collection. Found a home on Mastodon where privacy matters. Invite your friends! @username #MastodonForward

Mastodon is my new home, offering the privacy and freedom I miss on Twitter. Let’s build a stronger, more secure social network together. @username #MastodonIsBetter

Making the switch from Twitter to Mastodon. Less ads, more freedom. Want to join the movement? @username #LetUsMastodon

And don’t forget to block twitter on your local network :wink: :

Adblock syntax
||*.cms-twdigitalassets.com^
||*.twimg.com^
||*.t.co^
||*.twitter.*^
Hosts syntax
0.0.0.0 abs-0.twimg.com
0.0.0.0 abs.twimg.com
0.0.0.0 api.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.cms-twdigitalassets.com
0.0.0.0 developers.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 fonts.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 help.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 pbs.twimg.com
0.0.0.0 platform.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 syndication.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 twitter.com
0.0.0.0 www.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 twitter.co.uk
0.0.0.0 www.twitter.co.uk
0.0.0.0 twitter.com.au
0.0.0.0 www.twitter.com.au
0.0.0.0 twitter.co
0.0.0.0 www.twitter.co
0.0.0.0 api-stream.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 ton.twimg.com
0.0.0.0 api-26-0-0.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 api-20-0-0.twitter.com
0.0.0.0 video.twimg.com
0.0.0.0 na.glbtls.t.co
0.0.0.0 na.albtls.t.co
0.0.0.0 probe.twitter.com

if people didn’t leave twitter last year at any point, they’re not going to be leaving it now.

I have opened a pull request for the removal of Nitter of the site.
As OP mentioned, Nitter is basically discontinued, and I don’t think that discontinued software should be listed on privacyguides.

2 Likes