ProtonMail and SimpleLogin usually mistaken as disposable mail :(

For example:
On GitHub - mstfknn/email-providers: Free, disposable email providers list. list pm[.]me, proton[.]me, protonmail[.]com, protonmail[.]ch, slmail[.]me got blocked!

Also on elevenforum[dot]com forum that uses service “debounce” to prevent registration with “disposable” mails all SL domains got blocked (paid and free).

So this is NOT forum failure, it uses external mail validation service https://debounce.io/. Can you please contact debounce and mstknn to remove SL domains from blocklist? I hope if there will many requests they will remove them!

1 Like

This is Privacyguides forum, not tech support.

What stops you from just opening an issue yourself? Why does someone else need to do it?

Tbh i don’t care about this. When a company blocks simple login I know they have no clue about how security and privacy works so that gives me a good indicator of the companies ethics and data protection.

6 Likes

This was my initial reaction as well, but a more sympathetic read of OP’s request is that it is not a request for someone to do the work on their behalf, but more of a ‘call to action’ for a problem (Proton and SL domains being blacklisted) that probably impacts or will impact many people on the forum. Which is valid I think (see this recent post for example)

5 Likes

Fair enough. But i don’t think there is much you can do other than suing them which i doubt going to be successful but who knows.

Still I think when services block secure email providers they clearly do not understand what they are doing which probably is a good indicator for you to not use it.

2 Likes

In many cases I agree, but in this case, It sounds like this is a service that other services use to block e-mail providers not a service you would use directly. So the problem isn’t that somewebsite.com or someotherwebsite.com block proton or simplelogin. It is that legit privacy friendly e-mail services are ending up on blacklists of these 3rd party services that specialize in this sort of thing, that handle anti-spam or e-mail reputation for many websites/services. So it isn’t necessarily about whether a service you use, blocks these providers or not, it is about whether the service used by the service you use is prejudiced against these providers which you don’t necessarily have a lot of control over. And just not using a service is not always a practical solution.

2 Likes

I am following your line of thinking tho but i don’t see what you can do against it.

1 Like

Beyond some combination of complaining/being the squeaky wheel, raising awareness, and educating, there is probably not a lot you can do if the service provider is unwilling to listen/change or too big to care.

In the case of the other recent example I linked to, a flood of people (including staff from Proton, Tuta, & Skiff) submitting comments on the proposal on github, voicing opposition to the proposal, and educating on the distinction between Private E-mail, Aliasing Services, and Temporary or Disposable mail services, was enough to keep some or all of them off the list. But this was a smaller project, and just a proposal.

Personally, when I encounter a service that won’t accept an alias domain, I generally reach out to their customer service, not because I expect they can do anything about it, but because I want to raise awareness that these services are legit and their customers rely on them for legitimate purposes, and because even if that feedback is ignored, I’d like there to be at least a small cost to the company (in time, money, or annoyance), for blocking these services.

3 Likes

I haven’t been in that situation yet but I am pretty sure I would do the same. That makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

To OP the cynical take is, they know what they are doing. They don’t want to hide your personal info. They want to profit from surveillance capitalism like the rest of big tech, hence the blocking. We can be the push back. We can be the “no thank you”. The thing is, online companies only see the equivalent of an angry/upset customer on social media sites as an angry Twitter/X/FB/etc post and we don’t do those here.

I also do that and then take them to court if they dont do anything about it. Theres no cost to do that here in Portugal so theres no reason not to except that youll lose some time doing it. Have done so twice thus far. Why ISPs, who collect all of your government ID info and have you sign a contract with them, are using such lists to block emails is beyond me and I find it particularly unjustified

1 Like

The right avenue to complain as a consumer is still to the company that doesn’t let you sign up imo. Tell them it doesn’t work and don’t accept “use another email address” for an answer, I would just say “this is my email address and I won’t use any other just to use your service” or something along these lines. Then either they fix it or they won’t. If they don’t, then don’t use the service. Because most of the time you have enough options anyway and the services doing a bit of pre-selection for you like this doesn’t hurt.

Whether complaining to the providers of these lists helps, I don’t think so. We’re not their users/customers, why would they listen to us? Only if the services that use these kind of lists are unsatisfied (due to the fact that their consumers complain about not being able to sign up), then they have an incentive to change.

The main reason I posted this to ask users to create complaints about this on their support. This can cause a reaction (or may not, but we should at least try)

1 Like

What and where exactly? The list you linked in your OP also includes literally gmail.com etc. so I don’t see why it would not also list proton.me. And as for DeBounce, we are not their customers. If we’re angry, they have no reason to care. It would be better to try to make their actual customers angry at them. So my question would be: did you contact this forum you tried to sign up for and what did they say?

contacting No2bounce regarding the blocking of SL domains from their lists is a proactive step. It’s important to provide them with accurate information and explain the legitimacy of SL domains to facilitate their removal from the blocklists. Collaborative efforts like these can help ensure fair treatment for legitimate email providers.

DuckDuckGo aliases to the rescue, idk