Proton and Standard Notes are joining forces

I’m not a big fan of this service compartmentalization, but from what I understand, SN will remain entirely independent of Proton, a bit like SimpleLogin now.

I am not usually a big fan of privacy services be bought up as there is so little to trust in this area anyway and, this just creates less competition but, atleast its being bought by Proton which is still a reputable company (even if I fully expect them to use standard notes in some new over priced bundle).

1 Like

If SN wasn’t or is no longer economically profitable, it’s still more interesting than seeing it disappear.

Would this accelerate development? I really liked it when I tried for a month, but I had to ditch it because export options lacked PDF. Offline licenses are fairly cheap, so I would definitely buy that once they do implement it.

1 Like

For now there are not usable for me.

• The 100MB storage limit feels ridiculous. ProtonMail offers 500MB basic with 1GB free upgrade, and ProtonDrive starts at 2GB up to 5GB free. It’s unclear why Standard Notes storage isn’t shared like these other Proton products.
  • Basic formatting tools like bold and italics are absent on free plan. What makes it different from notes in Proton Pass?
  • Jurisdictional troubles. It is not Swiss as Proton or SimpleLogin

P.S: Their app looks like PWA (progressive web application) not as standalone app.

Based on how SimpleLogin is going at Proton, I’m guessing this will accelerate development of Proton Drive more than Standard Notes itself, although both will probably benefit.

2 Likes
  • The acquisition has just been made… The comparison with proton doesn’t make sense.
    And SN will continue to offer its product alongside proton, so the subscription must remain consistent for the product alone.
  • You can use plugins.
  • SimpleLogin wasn’t Swiss either.
1 Like

I got the email because I voted for the idea on the uservoice thingy. Not an actual newsletter. I agree that it’s annoying that proton isn’t using those to communicate these things but only posts stuff on Reddit. Maybe @son this is something you can flag internally? We would really appreciate to get updates like this via the newsletter!

1 Like

Not agreeing I switched back to standard notes. Notesnook had to many bugs especially with larger note files.

1 Like

Proton sends out a newsletter every month or so and I think this news will be included in the next one.

I’d assume so too. It’s just that being a privacy friendly company with a strong community. It feels not nice and I have seen others complaining about it before here too, that we need to check Reddit or await a post here on the forum to keep up to date with the latest and greatest of proton. If proton would add a new subscription for announcements like these they post on their Reddit as well, I would love to receive them is all I am saying. We are actually passionate about privacy and proton and I think it may be under estimated that things like this are actually hyping up people :wink:

3 Likes

The free plan of Standard Notes feels very restrictive, no formatting notes, no attaching files, no Ctrl + F, I would also love to be able to have the note automatically include weather data at the time of the note, does anyone know any private alternatives? Not sure if this is off-topic. The good thing about SN was having the ability to have unlimited notes, but now they are adding a limit?

idk how others feel, but i really hope that one day SimpleLogin and Standard Notes (and any other relevant companies they join forces with) will be fully transferred to Proton as full-fledged features, as in Pass will have all the features of SimpleLogin and Drive will have all the features of Standard Notes.

i feel that if they don’t do this, all the while acquiring even more companies (which i hope they do! it seems to be going well so far), things will become too scattered for consumers to care. the reason why google, microsoft, and apple are so popular for everyday people is because of their ecosystems.

to the everyday person, they won’t care much that Simple Login is “integrated” with Proton. they want an ecosystem that’s convenient. it’s very easy for us folks here using the forum to say that it’s convenient to use Simple Login in conjunction with Proton Mail and Pass, but the threshold to become “easy to use” for the everyday person is marked by the likes of google et al. they’d have to make some google-docs- or CryptPad-type of product, which @Encounter5729 mentioned the Proton CEO wanted, which i’m glad to know.

things is, though, if Proton does entirely consume these products and turn it into standalone Proton features, there goes the alternative. i’m a big fan of there being alternatives as well, so i’m kinda not sure what to think about this.

5 Likes

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket, also Notesnook is a much better app than SN imo

4 Likes

It’s not one basket, as these are two separate accounts, with two different login.

SN can now export Super notes as PDF. The feature was added about a month ago or so.

3 Likes

I am happy about this as a paid proton user, very interested in how they integrate going forward. I’ve never paid for SN as it’s always been way too expensive… I’ve always freeloaded.

5 Likes

You’re right, but the fact that Proton is now associated with SN will encourage people to have the same account they had for Proton, for Standard Notes too

1 Like

No need to be toxic. If you do not like the companies feel free to not use them. I on the other hand feel they are doing great job in proton considering how limited the resources are. You know how hard it is to get good developers nowadays? In switzerland especially? (and I know they have developers in other countries as well). Its not easy and you can not just grow uncontrollably because then same thing will happen that happened to google, facebook and many other companies. Layoffs…

1 Like

How do you know? If they are so buggy and disorganized, and Proton is opposite, they can bring right practices to the place, share knowledge and fix a lots of things. After all what is more important is the ideology and the people (characters) that are there, everything else can be changed easily.