AnonAddy vs. SimpleLogin

Which one are you guys using and why?

Please give reasons that aren’t related to Proton. I don’t care that SimpleLogin is part of the Proton Unlimited plan, etc.

2 Likes

Both are mostly the same, just comes down to what pricing and UI you prefer in all honesty.

1 Like

Anonaddy was only 10€ per year. That’s the only reason I choosed it. But I agree they are the same.

1 Like

I think SimpleLogin has a few more features regarding routing, but it costs more and that may not be something you necessarily use.

1 Like

Pretty much the same, the only reason I use SimpleLogin is because of Proton, I think they’ll get a UI change after a while and maybe be more integrated into Protonpass

1 Like

I originally chose SimpleLogin because it was a bit easier to self-host, although I ended up switching to their hosted version eventually.

From a privacy perspective, I’m not a huge fan of AnonAddy’s username-based approach, where all of your standard aliases can be trivially linked based on the alias subdomain. They do have shared domain aliases of course, but limited except on their most expensive plan. If you use shared domain aliases near-exclusively like I do, then SimpleLogin is cheaper.

2 Likes

Based on my research I think that Anonaddy and SimpleLogin are among the best e-mail aliasing services, they share most things in common, but have some differences as well.

Anonaddy:
+ Better Free Plan: Anonaddy’s free plan is a real plan, it offers much more than SimpleLogin’s free plan which is limited to the point of essentially being a free trial.
+ ‘Light’ Plan: Anonaddy’s light plan is the sweet spot for most cost conscious users/individuals. It costs 1/3 what SimpleLogin’s premium plan costs–SL’s plan offers a bit more but the Anonaddy Light plan should be sufficient for most people.
- Premium plan is slighty more expensive than SL I think (but most users can stick to the Light plan which is substantively cheaper)
- Smaller project / single developer: This isn’t necessarily a negative, but it does make me slightly less confident that Anonaddy will exist (and be actively developed and sustainable) in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years when compared with Simple Login / Proton.

Simple Login
+ Owned/backed/developed by Proton. This gives me somewhat more confidence that the service will be around long term, and actively developed (albeit slowly probably, but that is ok).
+ Can use it for SSO on some sites (like this one) if that is something you use/care about
+ & - Proton is a company with a lot of different services, that can be a positive if there are useful integrations or cost efficiencies, that can be bad if the companies focus strays from SL to other services or if development resources are spread too thin
- No equivalent to the light plan offered by AnonAddy.
Possible + for Protonmail users, having your aliasing service and e-mail on the same infrastructure may offer some security and privacy advantages.

1 Like

I went with SimpleLogin because AnonAddy adds an unique identifier in the domain prefix that defeats the purpose in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m currently using an alternative which is think is very well suited to my needs.

I bought a generic domain and have it configured on Skiff Mail. Enabled catch-all and changed all my non important accounts to that domain. When I need to reply with any e-mail of that domain, I manually create an alias for that specific purpose.

Skiff Mail gives me the ability to create unlimited aliases on custom domains so that solves the need to reply with the used e-mail. Kinda like what can be done with Simple Login.

I have tested both, the above ^ is incorrect, I believe you have misunderstood.

Both Simplelogin and Anonaddy give you the choice of both types of aliases.

Here is an example of what one of an anonaddy alias without an account identifier sa1haj81p@anonaddy.tld the bit before the @ is randomly generated, the bit after the @ is a public domain.

3 Likes

Right, but if you want to use aliases without an account identifier, SimpleLogin is (by $6/year) cheaper.

2 Likes

Didn’t know about the “account identifierless” aliases (very confusingly named shared domain emails).

$6 might not be a game changer for someone who enjoys their product much more than SL’s. On a brief test they seem pretty similar though.

One important thing left out of the analysis:
I migrated almost 40 accounts to SL aliases so far, and only 1 had issues with (almost all) SL domains. They finally accepted simplelogin.fr.
Not being blacklisted and keep adding domains to circumvent it when it happens is an important feature. I don’t know how both services compare in that area.

Can you expand on this? I don’t believe that this is true, but maybe I am misunderstanding you.

I have been test driving both SL and AA using the free plans and they both appear to allow (a limited number of) identifier-less addresses. I believe SL offers 10 on free plan or Unlimited for $30/yr. AA offers 20 on free plan, 50 for $10/yr, and Unlimited for $36/yr (note: for Anonaddy, this is just for identifier-less domains, shared domain, custom domains, etc don’t count towards the quota).

That’s right. Unlimited identifier-less aliases on SimpleLogin are $6 cheaper per year than those on AnonAddy.

1 Like

Btw: here one can get 1 year SL for 26€ (Euros) which should be about 26$ (??).

Ultimately I think what it comes down to is whether you might want over 50 identifier-less aliases.

If you dont need more than 50 identifier-less aliases + unlimited normal aliases & unlimited custom domain aliases, the Anonaddy Light plan is a much better value, but if you may want more than 50 identifier-less aliases, than SimpleLogin is a bit more cost efficient.

For the people using a custom domain (e.g. spotify@customdomain.tld) or using standard aliases (e.g. spotify@username.anonaddy.com) for the majority of their accounts, 50 identifier-less aliases (e.g. afhji4hf@anonaddy.com) might be more than sufficient, but for those that would heavily use the identifier-less addresses an unlimited plan is the better option.

can get 1 year SL for 26€ (Euros) which should be about 26$ (??).

The dollar is a bit weaker than the euro right now, 26€ is a bit over $29

2 Likes

I just paid for Proton Pass Plus.

It only cost me €12 (€1 per month), and this is how much it will cost forever (at least that’s what Proton says).

For that, I get unlimited aliases and a good password manager with SimpleLogin integration, and both the password manager and SimpleLogin integration will get better and better.

In my opinion, this is an absolute steal right now.

1 Like

Right, I have around 200 aliases in SimpleLogin, and given the choice between giving out an identifier and not giving out an identifier, I’d choose the latter. So that’s all I was saying. :slight_smile:

I agree, but just keep in mind you’re not guaranteed to get future (or even current) SimpleLogin Premium features with a Proton Plus plan. SimpleLogin Premium’s other features (besides unlimited aliases) aren’t useful for everyone though, so it’s probably a worthwhile trade-off for a lot of people.

2 Likes

I agree, if all other things are equal, non-linkable addresses are preferable. But there are other valid approaches with their own advantages and disadvantages, two of the most commonly used aliasing strategies people seem to use and recommend are:

1. Custom Domain
    • (e.g. spotify@your_domain.com or e48ehj@your_domain.com)
  2. <service_name>@uuid.domain.tld
    • (e.g. spotify@identifier.simplelogin.com ebay@identifier.simplelogin.com)

For people that were already planning on using one of these approaches, 50 non-linkable aliases would probably be much more than enough for the accounts where they specifically want the extra anonymity.

For the people that want all their addresses to be non-linkable and don’t need a custom domain or easy to remember addresses, you are right that 50 addresses might be too limiting.

2 Likes

Do people encounter domain reputation issue when using AnonAddy?