Zettlr - Local Notebooks

Criteria

Clients must be open-source. [Yes]

Any cloud sync functionality must be E2EE. [No cloud syncing]

Must support exporting documents into a standard format. [Free Export Formats: HTML, PDF, OpenDocument, Word, RTF, and more]

Acceptable privacy policy

Via Our Application

As of July 22nd, 2021, no data is being collected during the application update check. All data that has been collected previously has been deleted without any backup. From version 2.0.0 of the app, the app itself won’t even attempt to send any data to our server. Hence: We do not collect any information if you use our app.

Via Website

Zettlr uses the software Matomo to track our visitor’s behaviour (…) We will never sell any data to third parties. Your data will only be internally used.

Open-source

Last Stable Release:
v. v2.3.0, Jun 8, 2022.

Last Beta Release:
v3.0.0-beta.4, Apr 28, 2023.

Source Code: Releases · Zettlr/Zettlr · GitHub

Postmortem: Zettlr’s first Security Incident - May 13, 2021: Postmortem: Zettlr’s first Security Incident | Zettlr

Offers multiple functionalities.
Free export in several formats.
Has an active development.
Multi-language.
Documentation on how to use - Yes.
Integrate with Zotero.
etc.

Edit:

Security Features
Allows you to disable:

1. Rendering of iframes, images, and links.

Other Features:

1. Allows you to export markdown files from a folder as a complete PDF (Project mode).
  2. Integration with Language Tool.
  3. Auto-Correction of Magic Quotes.
  4. Pomodoro-timer.
  5. Word and/or character counter.
  6. Dark Mode.
  7. Distraction-free mode.
  8. Readability Mode: suggests the difficulty level of reading a sentence using colors from green to black.
  9. Creation and export of footnotes.
    etc.

+1

It’s a good program. I’m using it for my .md notes on one PC (on the other on I use Obsidian for some reason). But I’m syncing them via Nextcloud, so it can be edited on phone and in browser also

1 Like