Which paid Email provider do you use?

Yes those exist, but in case of the US they constantly turn out to be illegal. This because the US does not give foreign citizens any rights when it comes to privacy from surveillance. Read: European Commission gives EU-US data transfers third round at CJEU

The way the US refuses to change the surveillance acts will keep turning out into it not being a compliant framework, thus companies who use them are at legal risk. Besides that, you do not want to migrate because of a court rulling that has quite a good change of blocking this again. As long as the US doesn’t change their laws, there is no good reason for me to use nor recommend US-based services. Following the framework does not free you from the responsibilities under GDPR. That would be a stupid mistake that others have had to pay up for already.
(Schrems I EU-U.S. Privacy Shield and Schrems II Safe Harbour.) This is just yet again the same shit all over again.

4 Likes

I use Infomaniak, because of the price. Got a domain from them for a good price (€69 for 10 year) and it comes with unlimited storage email hosting and calendar/addressbook. They also have their apps on F-Droid which I appreciate.

I’ve never tried Tuta and I’ve never looked into it. But why does it makes you smile that nobody voted for it? Do you dislike the company or service? why?

2 Likes

I am using Tuta as my back-up/secondary e-mail. I am also curious what is LOL about this one :-).

For sure, mailbox.org is great!

2 Likes

I know, here in Portugal the competent authority decided that the governnent cannot use the services of any US based company for sensitive data, even if said data supposedly never leaves the country and the contracting party is a local subsidiary. This was provoked by news that some public services would use Cloudflare for DDOS protection.

Indeed, hence why its worth pointing out that Switzerland is not part of the EEA

1 Like

“I would love to use Proton Mail, but I will never do because of their unethical pricing and marketing in general.”

Why would you love to use Proton? That is, in what way is Proton superior to Mailbox (if it wasn’t for their price/marketing) ?

2 Likes

Tutanota was actually top of my list on who to subscribe to… until this post. It’s unpopularity is surprising, I don’t see what is wrong with them?

As I said above, after educating myself I think Tutanota seems like the best option given its Linux Flatpack, and most simple and aesthetically appealing UI. It has everything I need, I think.

Given the latest Skiff Mail news, Tutanota is soon going to rank among the least functional providers we recommend (sadly). That being said, I also don’t think you can go wrong with any of our recommendations, Tuta included :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If Tuta supported PGP, I would actually consider using it.

1. Tuta Mail app is available on F-Droid, and it’s completely functional without Google Play Services. Mail, contacts, and calendar are all available in this single application which also has almost all the settings and configurations that you would need without having to log in in their web interface.
  2. It’s the only recommended email provider for which you can pay with Monero or purchase a gift card with any other payment method to not tie that payment method to your Tuta account.
  3. Tuta has their own open-source alternative to reCAPTCHA, but now Proton does too.
  4. Tuta uses 100% renewable electricity for all its servers as well as its offices.
  5. Tuta has a special offer for NPOs.
  6. Their pricing and marketing is ethical, unlike the pricing and marketing of Proton.
3 Likes

re: 4-6. To be fair, Swiss electricity that Proton would be using is like 97% green energy on its own already. Proton claims their own operations are 100% as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/pa76za/comment/ha4uu0h/

Proton also has non-profit discounts, and their pricing is like… $1-3/month more than Tuta depending on the plan and commitment time. Given that Proton also does more than Tuta, and Tuta does the same “discounts for annual plans” thing, I would hardly call Proton’s pricing “unethical.” I do dislike Proton’s marketing though, yeah.

1 Like

It’s not that bad with Mail Plus subscription. But when users have to pay twice as much for their VPN (9.99 for 1 month, 5.99 if paid for 1 year, 4.99 if paid for 2 years) just because they buy it for 1 month and not 1 year or 2 years, that’s where the line is crossed.

You only pay $5 per month for Mullvad no matter what, that’s ethical and sustainable pricing right there.

1 Like

Only if you somehow count nuclear power as green… There was a lot of discussion about that when the EU last year decided to label it as such

Setting aside whether theyre counting nuclear on that or not, do they actually use 100% green energy or are they just using energy from the grid and offsetting what they use?

Last week in Tutanota’s subreddit a customer complained that their account was downgraded to free when they disabled renew.
Many of us called out Tutanota for this shitty behaviour.
All of us got a permaban for calling out the company.
Reddit allows a banned user to edit or delete comments so everyone who got banned edited their comment stating they will not be renewing their Tutanota account and moving to another provider.
The Mod’s response was to lock the thread.
8 customers in total, including me, will not give Tutanota any business.

Edit: The thread has been removed

2 Likes

I disapprove Tuta’s handling of criticism and alternative suggestions. Following my presentation of alternatives to a user’s inquiry, I have been blocked from posting on Tuta’s subreddit (I have read-only privileges). It is noteworthy that my engagement did not involve any form of criticism, ridicule, or disparagement toward Tuta.

Ideally, Tuta should have engaged in a constructive discussion, highlighting their merits rather than imposing restrictions on my expression.

Consequently, I chose to delete my account and refrain from utilizing their services, despite my positive view of them as a service provider.

3 Likes

Apparently, this is still on the list, but it’s not at the top of it. The CEO of Proton himself would rather have a worse battery life than rely on FCM for notifications, even though it is end-to-end encrypted. It’s good to see that this is the stance of the CEO of the company, and he isn’t just fine with FCM.

5 Likes

I’ve tried every named service in the poll except for Mailbox.

I started with Tuta, switched to Proton and I’m now testing Skiff.

The Skiff app is slow as a workday on my Android phone but fast on my iPhone. I assume it’s just the specs on my phone, but aside from that I’m really happy with Skiff.

I wish they had filters on the free tier though. Considering paying next year for that.

Nope, it really is slow on Android

Well… That sucks. It actually kind of makes me reconsider using them at all.