What does Privacy Guides think about criticism of Brave Browser?

Take in account that the CEO of Brave also invented the Javascript code you are using to comment there, co-funded Mozilla.
He have expertise (and a lot) on the web! He knows what he is doing!

And remember that his Brave Search achieves very good search results and they accomplished that in very little time. Meanwhile, e g Mojeek still cant accomplish a Google level so it is not really an alternative (as brave search is). In my opinion, this was possible at least in a large portion because a Brendan knows what he is doing!

And, AFAIK, he has done his best to maintain a good separation between his personal ideas and his work (AFAIK)

8 Likes

Not to mention js being a pox on the internet in general, but that’s just besides the point

Still don’t want to fund someone who fought to prevent people like me getting married :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m confused about which browser to use on my Android device. Some people advise against using Gecko browsers, while others recommend Brave, but some say not to use Brave. What should I do?

Brave would be a good choice, if you want to use something Gecko based Mull seems like a good choice. Or if you’ll be using a Pixel+GrapheneOS then Vanadium is a good option.

6 Likes

If you’re on GrapheneOS, then use Vanadium. If not, then try Cromite.

I would recommend adding Cromite’s repository to the F-Droid Basic client to download Cromite and get seamless updates.

3 Likes

No one here compared Brave to Mozilla but you. Mozilla gets enough flack as is, so it’s not like the privacy community isn’t highly critical of them. This thread is about Brave, though.

1 Like

Acting like he’s doing anything for that company but (bad) PR and cashing out :skull:

Edit: removed the last bit as someone found that to be offensive (somehow) and got the post hidden lol :smiley:

1 Like

Brave is Chromium and relatively private compared to other options on Windows. I like FireFox more but some websites I use are dropping support for it and the difference is noticeable. I hope there is a good Chromium option other than Brave soon because all of the AI, Shitcoin, and ads make the browser bloated. I also think it is short sighted to say that Eich’s personal views don’t affect the browser at all, and Brave is popular with a certain crowd of people who are in many ways anti-privacy when it doesn’t come to themselves.

3 Likes

Is there a special benefit to Vanadium+Graphene?

Security, mostly

Strong security, but that isn’t why I framed my answer the way I did (“Or if you’ll be using a Pixel+GrapheneOS then Vanadium”)

I said that because Vanadium is only available on GrapheneOS and GrapheneSO is only available on recent Pixel devices. So unless you are using GrapheneOS on a Pixel, Vanadium isn’t an option.

The picture you attached and the comment I made are not analogue and the supposedly joke you are doing with the meme is going nowhere.
OP asked: What does Privacy Guides think about criticism of Brave Browser?
You said: “the CEO of Brave is a shithead outside of just cryptocurrency.” (among other valid criticism).
I said: he can be, but that doesn’t mean that Brave is bad or that he can’t be trusted. After all, he have a lot expertise. Even you enjoy of that expertise! If your argument is saying “Brave bad because Brendan Eich bad” then you should say also “Javascript bad because Brendan bad”, but not. Either you are a hypocrite, or do you enjoy JS. So I would prefer not to think of you as a hypocrite, but as someone (as majority of people on the internet does) who enjoys JS!
Then you post that meme that doesn’t have anything in similar with what was being discussed. In the meme someone says: you live in society then you can’t criticize society. Other person says: “we should improve society”.

So I will list SOME clear differences there:

• You are not saying that we should improve Brendan Eich, but insulting him. Is very, very different.

• You are not part of Eich, so even if you were actually saying something constructive and productive, it doesn’t happens as in the meme.

• You are not part of society in the same sense you are a user of JS. Society isn’t created by someone, but by all together. JS, well, is created by Brendan. So do you enjoy JS? Why not enjoy Brave in the sole fact of Brendan personal opinions?

• You are not improving anything, not proposing any improvement for Brave. You are part of society. Tell me, where are the users on society? Where the providers? (I am talking about society as a whole, so don’t tell me: look to capitalism, or look to economic, etc). In contrary, in Brave there’s a developer team and a user base. You are not part of the developer team, so you criticism to Brave doesn’t work in the same way as if you were criticizing society. In one you are part, in the other you aren’t.

• You can opt out of using JS; you cannot opt out of being part of the society. Just look the verb difference: one is a thing you use, the other is something you belong to. Using vs being. Very different.

• I never said “I am very intelligent” not implied that on my comment. But thanks for the compliment! I appreciate that you answer things in a serious manner and not with memes because you couldn’t write a point without jokes!

Next time stop thinking that by making jokes and posting memes on the internet you are making a point.

You said that Brave CEO is a shithead, and thus you don’t use Brave for that reason. According to your reasoning, you would be also not using JavaScript, but aren’t you using it? You seem to not understand what I am saying: if your argument is not use X because Y is bad, how can that be consistently applied to one thing and not another? In other words, what i was saying was that as you are using JS despite the creator, you can use Brave despite the creator. And that implies you cannot reject Brave because the creator, because you would need to reject JS because the creator. In other words, you cannot reject something (Brave) because the creator, because you are using something else despite the creator (JS). So, as you are using something else (JS) despite the creator, you can use the other thing (Brave) despite the creator.

1 Like

Because not using JS in the modern state of the web is not feasible since so many sites use it. As their meme states, just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean that you have the ability to opt out of it.

3 Likes

I’m not reading all that but from what I did read, you should change your name to iammisinterpretingthepoint because @exaCORE had zero trouble understanding that the meme was specifically directed at js, but you somehow did and decided to say how good Brendan Eich is and that I’m not part of him or something. Again, didn’t read your whole screed, just skimmed it.

Brave after disabling some toggles is best for “normies”.

Otherwise I am enjoying cromite everywhere these days.

https://github.com/uazo/cromite#auto-update-setup-for-windows

1 Like

Quick reminder that we DO NOT ALLOW PERSONAL ATTACKS in these forums.

Read the FAQ - Privacy Guides stop arguing and get back on topic.

8 Likes

Not sure why this was flagged, but yes the CalyxOS browser is a fork of Cromite.

I’m not sure how much or how little of it is or isn’t Cromite however.

edit:
Cromite has 307 patches: cromite/build/cromite_patches_list.txt at 4cf08e3bbe3bb9cc5420c4fd98bfea281cbeb4d2 ¡ uazo/cromite ¡ GitHub

CalyxOS uses 159 of them: build/bromite_patches_list.txt ¡ android14 ¡ CalyxOS / platform_external_calyx_chromium ¡ GitLab

If you want Cromite, please use Cromite.

See also my Browsers - DivestOS Mobile

1 Like

It was flagged because it is off-topic in this thread.
Folks, please do not ask random questions in a thread where they don’t belong - start a new thread. And [search engine of choice] it first. :wink:

Apologies for straying off topic!

I did search in the Calyx subreddit but there didn’t seem to be much info. Certainly less than Skewed Zeppelin’s post/link (many thanks for that).

I’ll start a new thread in future!

1 Like

The subreddit isn’t the main source of general info - use their website.

1 Like