What do you use Arkenfox, Mullvad and Tor for exactly?

There seems to be ambiguity for the exact use cases of all of these browsers. Since everyone does not have to use the same browsers (with the exceptions of Mullvad and Tor, which should be used), my current definitions of these browsers are:

• Daily driver for logged-in websites (Arkenfox)
  • Private browser for browsing the internet (Mullvad)
  • Ultra-private browser (Tor)

These can be refined.

Thus, I hope by the end of this topic, we can collectively spark a conversation that leads to the formation of a comprehensive list of the use cases for all these individual browsers. The goal is for readers to learn how to use these browser appropriately. Furthermore, information generated here could be potentially added to the knowledge base.

Here is an example question, pertaining to this topic: do you use Tor to log into government websites and for shopping?

1 Like

A known identity is used for things where you must declare your name. There are many legal documents and contracts where a legal identity is required. This could range from [
] obtaining a passport, customs declarations when importing items, or otherwise dealing with your government. These things will usually lead to credentials such as credit cards, credit rating checks, account numbers, and possibly physical addresses.

We don’t suggest using [
] Tor for any of these things, as your identity is already known through other means.

*Bolded: pieces of information that may be used for shopping purposes
*Italicized: anything under the umbrella of government

Quoted from Common Misconceptions - Privacy Guides

2 Likes

Can’t say about the other two. But Tor is primarily used to conceal my IP address and secondly, to prevent websites from identifying my browsing activity as unique to a single person. Hiding my IP address essentially hides my identity, which is generally achieved by Tor when I simply browse the web. However, if preventing identification as a unique individual is impossible (for example, if a website requires a login), then the email address or username used for login should be untraceable to my real identity.

Any kind of interactions potentially exposes my identity, so if I need to interact, but feel the need to use Tor, it’s usually best to stay away from those websites.

2 Likes

I use Tor Browser for almost all browser-based activities, such as chatting in forums, browsing social media, etc. But the premise is: the information such as email addresses bound to these accounts logged in through Tor are anonymous, and the network activities of these accounts will not be associated with my real-world identity through social engineering means.

I use Mullvad for web browsing that is inaccessible or unacceptably slow with Tor, such as looking up material or watching streaming services without logging in. Mullvad can protect my Canvas and other fingerprints from being obtained.

As for the social and life services related to my real identity, I use self-reinforced FireFox.

1 Like

I do the same FWIW.

2 Likes

LibreWolf for all

1 Like

Is there any benefit of Mullvad browser as a ‘private browser’ (e.g. for Google search) if not using Mullvad VPN but other provider? Wouldn’t Arkenfox with VPN extension/proxy better?

1 Like

What do you use Arkenfox, Mullvad Browser, Tor Browser for exactly?

Pretty much exactly how you described:

1. Firefox (Arkenfox w/ a few overrides + uBO medium mode, VPN optional)
    • This is my most convenient and pleasant browser to use. It probably has the strongest anti-tracking protection of the 3, with the exception of anti-fingerprinting protection. which is not as strong as Mullvad & Tor browsers. I consider anti-fingerpringting to be an aspirational reach goal for this browser (strong anti-fingerprinting can’t confidently be achieved on either vanilla Firefox or Brave. Because of this, I allow myself a little more freedom to fine tune it to to my preferences and priorities. I use multi-account containers, as well as a few different browser profiles for different purposes which I configure a bit differently. The most notable override I use is FPP instead of RFP, FPP is a more moderate level of fingerprint protection that doesn’t have as many usability tradeoffs as RFP (this will be come the default in Arkenfox soon)
    • For less experienced users, or people who just don’t want to have to think so much about their browser, Brave or Librewolf would be acceptable alternatives as well.
  2. Mullvad Browser (VPN Mandatory)
    • Strictly a privacy browser w/ strong anti-fingerprinting protection for scenarios where I want to ‘blend in to a crowd’. I do not modify this browser. This is the next ‘step up’ in privacy for me. The main advantages it has over Firefox (Arkenfox) is mandatory uniformity. Strong anti-fingerprinting protection. If it has a sufficient userbase it can do what Firefox and Brave have not, create crowds (“buckets” of users) who blend in with one another. But to achieve that, it is necessary for users not to modify most settings or install most extensions. It has stronger anti-fingerprinting but that comes at the expense of constraints on how you use it, and some usability tradeoffs.
  3. TorBrowser (Tor Network Mandatory)
    • When browsing anonymously is desirable this is the browser to use. Like Mullvad Browser its protection relies on mandatory uniformity. Most settings should not be changed, Extensions should not be installed.

The above is what I think of as my three tiers of private browsing. In addition to that I use Brave (as a backup browser, for testing, and for when I have a need for a Chromium based browser) and Vanilla Chromium (for a small whitelist of streaming services where tracking protection is irrelevant as I’m always logged in and only doing non-sensitive things).

3 Likes