Shareit Alternative (again?!)

I asked about Shareit alternative monthes ago and the best alternative was Photon - File transfer and the reason i am saying “was” cause it have some bugs like i am not able to send files for some reason and the last update was 6 monthes ago!!, So anyway i tried LocalSend which need an internet connection as i tried to use it locally but it refused for some reason, Other alternatives like Sharik and Trebleshot are disconnected, And the best i could find was Kde Connect, So i need your opinion about it and is it good for privacy and security?

KDE connect is what I use everyday. I can’t personally speak to whether or not KDE connect is inherently more secure than other file sharing tools like localsend.

However I can say that KDE Connct is open source, and developed by the same people who develop a major desktop environment for Linux. Therefore I would find it unlikely that KDE connect is/would do anything intentional to harm the security or privacy of their userbase.

4 Likes

I could transfer files using it and i could block its connection to internet and use it locally, am i right?

As far as I know KDE connect works either via a local network connection (need to be on the same WiFi network), directly connected with manual IP address input; or communication over Bluetooth.

I do believe a network connection will be required to use it. Though this connection is not used to send data over the internet it is merely used to discover and send TLS encrypted packets (our files) over the local network. No data should be reaching the internet from KDE connect.

2 Likes

all those apps require the internet permission because they send files over local network.
grant the permission and they will work fine.

2 Likes

This, give LocalSend another try @L_ishere670

@jerm @whoami5
I gave LocalSend local access only and both devices were on the same network and no luck actually, You could use firewall apps on Android and Windows.

For Android there is InviZible Pro and Rethink

For Windows there is FortFirewall and Portmaster

Okay so you broke the network connection for the app and are complaining it doesn’t work.

What exactly did you set in the “firewall” apps you use? It sounds like you probably don’t know how to enable just the required traffic to get between the two devices, you probably blocked all incoming traffic on each device.

Edit: I did the research because no one else seems to have wanted to. Per the documentation of LocalSend, it needs the multicast range (specifically the 224.0.0.0/24 range in LocalSend’s case) to communicate with other devices. Depending on what exactly our learned friend @L_ishere670 has set for “only local network access”, the multicast range might have been blocked and only say, 10.0.0.0/8 or 192.168.0.0/16 allowed because “local network”

1 Like