Seeking Advice: Recommendations and Questions on Enhancing Privacy and Security

By “this” you mean the “Harvest now, decrypt later” strategy?

We are still waiting for the NIST to standardize some algorithms in 2024. But for the moment indeed we don’t have great solutions apart from praying that the Q-day will never come while we are still alive.
Almost every data in the world is going through the submarine communication cables where every intelligence agency is connected :disguised_face:

It comes down to personal preference. I like Canary’s interface a bit better. I think their search tool is easier to use. On my phone, which is where I actually use Canary the most, I take advantage of some of its other features (that Mail doesn’t have). I think either would be fine for encrypted emails.

What are the ramifications of this exactly? I may not be alive when it happens, but my kids and grandkids most certainly will. Are all who sail the seven seas immediately going to get fined/go to jail? Or is it just that they’ll be able to target ads at us like never before?

I don’t know, there are so many things to consider : who achieves it, what is the geopolitical situation when it is achieved, how good is the new quantum supremacy, how much does it cost, etc.

In general big powers are first of all used for geopolitics concerns. Then whether the Q-day will bring us into a new kind of dictatorship or nothing really major will happen, I have no idea.

You need a threat model before going any further.

I suppose that’s true. I went through all the questions and answered them back when I first found this site, and they just felt so ambiguous. I don’t know what I’m trying to protect from. The future implications of this stuff are just so unknown.

I guess I mainly don’t want my children and grandchildren to have such accurate psychological profiles of them that their devices are able to perfectly control what they do, what they buy, when, how, where, and ruin their lives just because they have figured out how to manipulated humans to that extent.

Yes, its a very open ended and constantly evolving question.
Very easy to get fatigued, discouraged and nihilistic.
The best one can do is decide what’s important right now then start chipping away at it.
Here’s an example threat model of a person that prioritized security and privacy with other people and assumes there’s no protection against big government overreach other than making logins to gov’t sites as secure as possible.

1 Like