Questions Regarding DNS

What’s the difference between this and AdGuard home?

Also, what’s the deal with Firefox not working when I set DNS on Windows 11?

Huawei E5186s-61a

Ahhh, makes sense. The backbone (how it connects to the internet, aka WAN) isn’t wired, it’s a barebones basic 4G broadband router.

Apparently, you can change the DNS using API, also you can do a firmware upgrade (Huawei E5186 Firmware Upgrade with Multicast Upgrade Tool - Hacker's ramblings) no idea what all of this does.

So, what do I do? I can’t SSH into it, I can’t change it’s DNS, I have to contact Optus. I saw this page: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2670005, but no idea if it is relevant plus it is a wall of text.

And, I have no idea what this is:

Tech is a nightmare

My critical questions are:

• If I use AdGuard home, is there any point in purchasing AdGuard applications, i.e., AdGuard for iOS and AdGuard for Windows, for all my devices?

Found answer here: Adguard app(windows) vs Adguard home server · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome · Discussion #4554 · GitHub.

• Is it possible to use AdGuard home using a WAN router (Huawei E5186s-61a)?

At this point it’s easiest to get a better router that supports what you want lol. Until then, just configure each of your own devices.

You won’t lose all sense of privacy and fail if you don’t have a DNS server that isn’t default. I think understanding the technology and risk might be a better step rather than getting frustrated (privacy isn’t black and white). I’d honestly just keep using Proton VPN and check for dns leak while on it (there are tests online and a link provided).

Failure to secure DNS in your case means your ISP might know what sites you are visiting, but will have no clue what you are doing there. Not too big of a deal, compared to the insane level of tracking companies due through fingerprinting. If you change to a different DNS server, that just means you trust them over your ISP.

1 Like

On a side note, a lot of people here are giving advice under the assumption you understand networking, and the wave of information is confusing since that likely isn’t true. I’d highly recommend watching YouTube tutorials (via FreeTube on Desktop) on the parts of tech that is not 100% understood.

1 Like

Lol indeed. I will ask Optus to change the DNS for my router if they can. Their customer support is abysmal. I am afraid at the benefits I will be losing by using AdGuard Home.

True, but the problem is you need an IT degree, to implement privacy protections, and the way academia is these days, everything is taught in the worst possible way. Plus, I am doing a degree in science, so getting the time to learn how this technology works while I wish I could, I have other stuff to be studying. That’s why I think having simple ‘one-click’, automatic solutions is so important, but unrealistic. The open source/IT community is so cool, they volunteer, other people take their work and sell it and yet the creators get paid sh*t all.

Like to setup AdGuard Home on my crap box of a router, I legit need a degree in IT or computer science (idk the correct terminology). Hence why on another post I was looking for a resource like Privacy Guides that provided a general overview.

Summary: I will not give up on my dreams of at least having network-level DNS.

So stick with the one click solutions, and chalk some of these other things as nice to do later. I learned a lot of this without IT degree, just a whole lot of searching “what is xxxx”. I eventually flashed a router with OpenWRT, and literally just started understand what each setting did to a basic degree. Now I’ve got a WireGuard VPN tunneling to my home server running services within a privacy upstream VPN. I didn’t do this in 3 days.

Don’t conquer Rome in a day - just learn a little as you go and implement stronger projections over time. But the basic protections can go along way.

2 Likes

Thanks, sound advice. However, I am trying to finish with this stuff ASAP, so I can get back to studying.

I assume you have an IT degree though, or a lot of knowledge in this field? Genuinely, interested in the background of most people here. I assume IT.

Anyway, at least I got AdGuard Home working for Windows only, but yeah for some reason Firefox doesn’t work now as well. :cry:

For the most part your ISP will be able to get that information anyway because the handshake (unless using ECH, but many sites dont support it yet): Understand Encrypted Client Hello (ECH) | Firefox Help

1 Like

Privacy will never be a one off, it’s a bit of a lifestyle, and I’m still learning too. For now, I would argue studying is probably more important, come back to this with down time and a fresh mind. Someone else may help out with the Adguard situation.

PS, I do have an adjacent degree that may have given me some edge, but I never learned IT in school.

True - they could snoop on the public key handshake. A case where VPN is the best defense. But OP has Proton VPN so he should be good?

2 Likes

What exactly is your concern?

2 Likes

Are you referring to me or overdrawn?

When you change DNS record(s) from within your router, you do not have control over whats blocked and whats allowed. Whereas with AdGuard Home, you are in charge.

No idea. Dont know Windows11

Not so much of a nightmare… :slight_smile:

Technically speaking: yes, should work well. Never tried it though.

Thats good :slight_smile:

No, you don’t. There is always DDG to help you find what you want. Also there are various forums where you can ask for help.

Yes. Im Solutions Architect with close to 20 years of experience, so, yes, I know things.

Not surprised you’ve got experience, but I still contend tech is a nightmare. :rofl:

1 Like

PS, don’t link Google lol, lots of other options from the guide.

1 Like

@overdrawn98901 you’re right. My bad. Changed to DDG.

BTW: Google will get no (tracking) data when you configure your VPN properly.

1 Like