Peergos - Private storage, sharing, social media and application platform

In light of the recent Skiff acquisition I’d like to reiterate that we do not have VC investors. We actively build to protect users against us being bought or shut down by giving them easy exit (automatic migration, open source servers and self hostable, and portable data and identity (host independent).

We wrote our thoughts on this previously when keybase was acquired: Keybase has left the building

2 Likes

I’ve had a bit of a look at this today.

I really like the introduction tutorial, and it’s pretty well designed as you’d expect.

The product feels rock solid, which is quite unusual with a lot of the privacy based approaches we see. Personally I would be happy to add this and I could see myself using it.

It feels like the best usecase for this would be a small “pod” or unit/workgroup, maybe between a few friends or employees of a company.

2 Likes

Thank you for trying it out @dngray. The cool thing about using a p2p and self-authenticated protocol is it doesn’t matter what host you are on - you can friend and share etc. with anyone on any other server. The idea is that those who want more control can self host, but most people can sign up to someone else’s server without any loss of privacy.

2 Likes

@ianopolous can you please enlighten me about access on mobile devices? Does it have to be done via browser or is there any other way?

1 Like

@landordragen We’ve been working on an android app, but it’s not there yet.

However we do have a mobile friendly PWA, which also supports offline reads of anything you have locally cached.

1 Like

Good to know. Thank you for replying so quickly.

We’ve just published a new release, v0.15.0. You can get it or read the release notes here: Release Latex support, 15x less bandwidth · Peergos/web-ui · GitHub

This includes latex support in the notes and markdown apps, 15x less bandwidth and 3x less cpu usage for self hosters and a bunch of bug fixes and optimisations.

1 Like

What’s the process from here for being included? Is there anything we can do to help?

I might have to check that out hey.

The next step would be a PR, which the team would work on, or a contributor after approved status (which this has reached).

2 Likes

I’m ready to work on that, but in what category should we put the service in? Cloud storage? File sharing and sync?

I would think this would fit under productivity as a collaboration platform.

@dngray :+1:

@ianopolous Also, Peergos is only a web app, right?

Our focus is on cloud storage as our foundation is a p2p file system, but there are apps for productivity like docs and calendar built on top of that foundation. We can stream large video e2ee in the browser too which is cool. You can also write your own web apps and run them on peergos.net.

There is a native app with both a CLI and a web interface. You can for example login on localhost to an account on a server like peergos.net.

I am speaking about clients here, (like accessing my Peergos directly from my Windows/LInux/Mac), not about custom apps that you can add.

Yes we have a Java client which includes the CLI and web interface. This runs on windows, linux and mac, or anywhere else with Java. But I wouldn’t recommend the Java client for people who aren’t comfortable with a CLI.

Is there any file manager integration (i.e. Accessing my files directly from my file manager)?

There is a FUSE mount command yes. But I don’t think that works on Mac anymore, and not sure about windows. On Linux it is fine.

Interesting. Thanks for the responses :slight_smile:

Also, where can I download that CLI/Java app? I don’t seem to find any link.

We publish jars and release notes here: https://peergos.net/public/peergos/releases

and also on github:

1 Like

We describe running it locally here: GitHub - Peergos/Peergos: A p2p, secure file storage, social network and application protocol

and the CLI here:

(There is only 1 binary which includes the server, client, web-ui and CLI)