Peergos - Private storage, sharing, social media and application platform

Thanks for the list, mika. We do plan on increasing the max storage to several TB.

In terms of features, we have:

• native mount of your peergos space (or a sub folder) on windows, linux and mac
  • no file size limit, including shared files
  • fully functional web interface, including huge files and streaming video
  • offline access (read only for now)
  • meta-data protection even from the server (file size, number of files, directory structure, social graph)
  • open source and fully self hostable, including mirroring an account on another server
  • unlimited devices
  • access sharing and revocation to files and folders without the server seeing who has access to what
  • built-in apps (text editor, markdown browser, PDF viewer, calendar, social media)
  • ability to write your own apps and share them

There are more details here: https://book.peergos.org/

2 Likes

There’s no mention of your privacy policy/terms in the footer. https://peergos.net/privacy.html

PG currently requires offering a free plan or trial period for testing as minimum criterion Cloud Storage - Privacy Guides

Also, is there any plans for adding cryptocurrencies as a payment option?

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions, jerm.

We’ve reinstated our demo server so people can try it out for free. This is linked from the signup page. Also, unlike pretty much all other similar services our server is 100% open source and self-hostable. So those capable of self hosting can also try it out that way. We aim for zero lock-in and easy migration to a different host, whilst still keeping all your data and social connections.

The privacy policy and terms are only relevant to the peergos.net server. As peergos is self-hostable, anyone, including other companies, can run their own server with their own privacy policy. Users can still share with anyone on any server.

If there is enough demand, we could add support for more payment options, it’s mainly a question of resources.

2 Likes

Thanks for listening to my suggestion/feedback. Will definitely check it out.

At https://peergos.net/ both password field lacks a placeholder or any indicators to give a bit of context, it might be confusing.

1 Like

Thanks for the further suggestion, jerm.

We’ve added placeholders to all the password fields now.

2 Likes

I saw someone asking about searching encrypted files, Cryptomater question: are encrypted files searchable if uploaded to OneDrive, Google Drive, etc? - #4 by HauntSanctuary , and thought I’d mention you can search in Peergos either by metadata or full text search in the web ui. The search is performed locally, and it downloads on demand the encrypted blobs if they aren’t already cached locally.

You can see a demo in our old UI here: Fast Encrypted File Search

1 Like

Hi folks,

We’ve just done a big new release, which includes two factor auth (TOTP and webauthn)
https://peergos.net/public/peergos/releases/v0.13.0

I think that means we now satisfy all the minimum requirements for Cloud Storage, and all but one of the best case requirments.

We also have some unique features that none of the others have.

What do people think?

2 Likes

This thread is the first time I heard about Peergos - it looks interesting, so I signed up to play around more!

3 Likes

Hi pitly,

Thanks for signing up. I’m happy to answer any questions here. Or I can offer a guided tour where you can ask questions I’ll talk you through some of the hard to find features or tech if you want.

2 Likes

After using Peergos for the last few months, I am liking the features :slight_smile: I have not focused on the private social network aspects, but I have played around with the storage, sharing/secret links, and markdown editor/browser and they work well for my use cases. Overall it reminds me of CryptPad/CryptDrive, although I understand that the feature set focuses on different things.

1 Like

Thank you for your support pitly!

We’ve also drastically reduced our pricing (by more than 4X) and added two more plans. You can see the latest pricing here: Pricing

We’ve added a block based notes app. You can see an example note file in the link below. Remember, anyone can add their own custom apps, even on our server. We explain how this works here: A better web These apps are private, sandboxed and served E2EE just like all other data in Peergos.

https://peergos.net/#{"app":"markup"%2C"path":"demo/media/notes"%2C"args":{"filename":"demo.note"}%2C"writable":false%2C"secretLink":true%2C"link":"#6MDZhRRPT4ugkJuUfcWtaZodN5QYzkZKJtHpDHomFJrVhNSZysiFYimpgtcA2F/6MDZhRRPT4ugkJuUfcRzRbPpFimcBNJx2N9TJDnL4W3ETYhwdsWdvgCkXkwipF/tUTzTE3R3MBM1JnTDTkjP5rbgg7rT2aRAdEbXAwZftcRJFmAPZJn42yVhmuaisCoo2gqbMoybqk17v38uojcrFBZNAjLkF/5Pf7SvouDJ24n5M7UET8bs8b5NYTqkqHeGBRVYevFtjndtizkPM"%2C"open":true}

2 Likes

Couldn’t find that info easily, so asking here @ianopolous : Are there containers published on any registry to run this with Docker, Podman or something similar?

1 Like

Yes, our latest release docker image is here: web-ui versions · peergos · GitHub

In light of the recent Skiff acquisition I’d like to reiterate that we do not have VC investors. We actively build to protect users against us being bought or shut down by giving them easy exit (automatic migration, open source servers and self hostable, and portable data and identity (host independent).

We wrote our thoughts on this previously when keybase was acquired: Keybase has left the building

1 Like

I’ve had a bit of a look at this today.

I really like the introduction tutorial, and it’s pretty well designed as you’d expect.

The product feels rock solid, which is quite unusual with a lot of the privacy based approaches we see. Personally I would be happy to add this and I could see myself using it.

It feels like the best usecase for this would be a small “pod” or unit/workgroup, maybe between a few friends or employees of a company.

2 Likes

Thank you for trying it out @dngray. The cool thing about using a p2p and self-authenticated protocol is it doesn’t matter what host you are on - you can friend and share etc. with anyone on any other server. The idea is that those who want more control can self host, but most people can sign up to someone else’s server without any loss of privacy.

1 Like

@ianopolous can you please enlighten me about access on mobile devices? Does it have to be done via browser or is there any other way?

@landordragen We’ve been working on an android app, but it’s not there yet.

However we do have a mobile friendly PWA, which also supports offline reads of anything you have locally cached.

Good to know. Thank you for replying so quickly.