Peergos Calendar: E2EE, self-hostable and fully open source

Peergos, which is already recommended for storage, includes an E2EE calendar app. Unlike all the other listed calendar options, it is both fully open source (including the server) and self-hostable. We also develop in the open, rather than drop shipping bundles of code.

You can share individual events or entire calendars, including with write access. There’s 2FA, import/export,and recurring events. The number of calendars you can make is unlimited (the server can’t see how many calendars you have, or even how many events).

Being built-on Peergos, it is decentralized - meaning you can share with any user on any server, or via secret link to anyone. Under the hood, events are just standard ical files in peergos, and calendars are just folders.

In fact, because Peergos allows you to write your own apps (and run them safely on any server (for details on custom apps see A better web), including our server peergos.net) you can write your own Calendar app if you want.

There is no caldav support, because that would break the E2EE. You can use the web-ui on a public server or on localhost. However we do hope to add a local caldav option in the future that runs on your device.

If people are interested, we could add a much cheaper and smaller tier aimed specifically at calendar users.

The original post from 2021 announcing it is Encrypted shareable calendar

5 Likes

I wonder how usuable it is as i udnerstand there is no mobile app, but otherwise seems cool.

If you’re okay with keeping a tab or pwa open (how I use it) it’s fine. If you need a native mobile app and notifications, then probably not.

Does the pwa have offline support/ sync?

Yes the pwa (and website) should work offline, and you can login and view anything cached locally 100% offline (whilst maintaining the property that if an attacker gets your device whilst you are logged out they see nothing). Writes or sharing currently need to be online to sync to your home server.

1 Like

Does this Calendar has feature parity with calendly?

No Calendly is an appointment scheduling app, Peergos Calendar is just a calendar. But that is a good idea for a new app in Peergos.

1 Like

I’ve watched some of your conferences on YT and this project sounds and looks promising. Last time I checked on github there was some discussion about making it available for docker. Any update on that yet? It would be pretty good to have an yml file available for testing or easier deployment for begginers. I hope this project gets more engagement because it really deserves it.

1 Like

Thanks for your support ling. There is a docker build in this repo GitHub - Peergos/web-ui: The Web interface for Peergos

No free plan ? Thank you, but I already feel comfortable with Proton Calendar, there are also other altervatives that do the job (Tuta Calendar…).

We’re considering a 10x cheaper plan that would be appropriate for calendar usage. With a free plan you end up with the Dropbox problem where 99% of your users are not paying and the 1% who are paying end up subsidising the rest and thus raising the prices. It also creates a fraud problem where people try to create many free accounts. We want to keep our interests aligned with the users willing to contribute. Unlike Tuta and Proton you can always self-host Peergos for free because we are fully open source, including the server.