Notesnook (Evernote Alternative)

text editing is sold, but isn’t it from Pakistan, which has zero data privacy protections

1 Like

Notesnook Lead Developer here.

I want to correct a few things which are either out-dated or simply wrong:

1. Notesnook is 100% open source. That includes the backend (server) & the frontend (clients). It is also 100% FOSS as our license has been GPLv3 for the clients & AGPLv3 for the server.
  2. Notesnook also has a web clipper now (even though that is not relevant to the “privacy” discussion). You can check it out on our website (can’t put more than 2 links). The web clipper is also fully open source.
  3. Notesnook has not had an independent audit (yet) but there are plans for it.
  4. Yes, Notesnook is based in Pakistan (our servers are located in Germany). Take that how you will.

As for comparison against other note taking apps:

Aside from features, I think the difference is our focus towards the user. We want to make privacy approachable without making the user feel as if they are using a sub-par tool. (That is not to say we are have accomplished this). This is one of the main reasons our development pace is so fast. We are pushing out releases every other week fixing bugs, improving UX etc. etc.

Frankly speaking, I do not see that in other tools.

Edit: added point no. 4.

8 Likes

not sure how this is relevant at all. Your data is e2ee so there shouldn’t be any problem.

Is Notesnook planning to support version history syncing on the server? Perhaps we could automatically save a version every time the user hits ‘save’.

In my humble opinion, using a notes app without version history support is simply scary. Depending on the content of the notes, any accidental saves due to user error, app or browser bugs, or extension issues could lead to a lot of pain and frustration like this

This looks good to me, I think everything we were originally looking for has been completed. Going to mark this as approved (i.e. accepting PRs).

2 Likes

Why did NotesNook get approved without an audit but you are being tough on Skiff for not having one? Maybe label the recommendations that have been audited and give a warning for those that haven’t? @dngray

1 Like

The category does not require an audit, but it does require the source code be available. No source code is available for anything but Skiff Mail, and even then it’s not exactly buildable.

1 Like

Welp removed my vote. Also this tool seems to think it’s okay to send unrequested newsletters with marketing. Even religious marketing in this case. I didn’t sign up for your newsletter so don’t spam me.

For context, I think this is in reference to the email they put out about Ramadan ending, which came with a discount for signing up for Notesnook. I don’t remember whether I signed up for marketing email when I signed up, but the religious aspect of the marketing doesn’t bother me. It’s like an Easter or Holiday discount, just from a different culture than mine.

But the marketing email concern is something to confirm.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s really fair to point out the religious aspect in this case.
Plenty of tech companies do sales on what could be considered religious holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving (or Black Friday), and etc).
Proton, for example, does sales around Christmas time and sends out related marketing emails.

The real issue here is the lack of option to opt-out (based on search of my own Notesnook account setting) and that these emails are not opt-in by choice.

IIRC, Proton toggles on these kinds of emails by default when you first create an account, and you have to opt out manually.
So Notesnook is not doing anything particularly egregious here.

But the lack of even an option to opt-out is a problem.

EDIT: Technically, you can unsubscribe through the email received. But there should definitely be an opt-out option in the account setting for people that don’t want to these emails in the first place.

6 Likes

Based on these screenshots I see absolutely nothing problematically religious - and I am not religious in the slightest. It’s no different than a Christmas sale or New Years message.

Unsolicited marketing is a fair critique, however.

1 Like

Fair point. Although I think that those holidays like Christmas have for many lost the original meaning. Many don’t know what they are about anymore anyways. I never got a letter from a company telling me about that, but sure different culture. Still i take issue sith it. People should be free to believe what they want but don’t bother others with it.

1 Like

I find nothing wrong with it.

You get black friday (proton did), Christmas and thanksgiving newsletters from most of the services. It’s is a sale after all.

People should be free to believe what they want but don’t bother others with it.

With that mindset, wait till June.

1 Like

I did not get any email about this? Is it possible you have opted in to this? If not I agree it is wrong, but eonder why I do not get this then.

When you sign up, you automatically subscribe to their newsletter, promotions etc. You can opt out by toggling off the options at Proton.

Can confirm, created new account just to test this and you are rright indeed. Still doesn’t change my opinion this is really stupid and not a legimate interressed.
I didn’t come across this because it is not the case for business accounts. Which makes somewhat sense.

1 Like

Remember Notesnook doesn’t require an account…

I also haven’t received any emails from them.

3 Likes

I recently switched from Standard Notes to Notesnook and I have to say it is the better product, at least in the free version. Rich Text formatting is the most obvious reason to go with Notesnook.

Looking forward to seeing it on the PG website.

3 Likes

@jonah Can I open a PR for inclusion of Notesnook since no one else seems to be working on it?

2 Likes