New Changes to SimpleLogin free plan that upset me

I have been using SL for years now, 4 or 5… when I started begging for Labels (or similar) I had 50 alias, now I have more than 300… I NEED Labels… please :smiley:
Labels has been in the roadmap for years…

You have definitely mischaracterised my “argument”, irrespective of whether it is correct. My argument can be more accurately summarised as: I do not understand the use of inferior products when superior products exist.

Whether or not this is actually the case, again I do not know.

SimpleLogin also lets you encrypt all incoming emails with PGP so that they are stored securely regardless of your email provider, and lets you use custom domains (which is the main reason I use it).

From my limited knowledge, aliases are usually given to untrustworthy services, hence, I assume most aliases would receive automated emails from newsletters, receipts for purchases etc., which can’t be encrypted anyway, because these online services usually don’t provide or receive PGP keys, am I right to say that?

Custom domains seem to be redundant, when you can use randomised DDG email addresses, and as more people use DDG, DDG users will be able to fit into the crowd better. However, I do understand that custom domains may provide extra protections especially when using obscure services, but this may not even be true for most services, since they probably don’t have information that other services have about your other aliases, so maybe even in this regard custom aliases are redundant.

Definitely correct me if I am wrong!

All incoming emails are encrypted with your public PGP key when forwarded from SimpleLogin to your inbox, whether the service uses PGP is irelevant.

Thanks for clarifying, so from the service to your alias, they are not encrypted? But from your alias to your real email they are encrypted, makes sense since SL is coupled with Proton Mail.

Yes, but it works with any email provider (not just Proton). The use-case here is that it lets you securely store your emails with any provider even if they aren’t Proton/Tuta and don’t offer built-in encryption. Some people it doesn’t matter too much to, since maybe your mailbox is already secure, but for others it is very useful.

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying again, so basically this feature is useful for non-private email providers like Gmail.

However, even if this feature is present in the free version of SL, I would say that DDG still wins the tradeoff when comparing the free version of both products, by quite a margin.

Furthermore, is the purpose of this feature (privacy) not defeated, if the email is unencrypted when it is transmitted from the sender to recipient alias?

Note: sorry for all the questions. I am trying to ascertain the best options here for me and for everyone.

But it is hosted on Proton infrastructure = stable and reliable (as less outages as possible).

They are harming privacy making you unique. For things that already know your identity (banking, business) it is not a problem. But I would strongly recommend not to use custom domains for signup on services that don’t know your identity.

Now I am lack of tracking pixels removal. But with Proton it is not a problem.

1 Like