Inside Apple's Plan To Become An Advertising Monopoly

I don’t know if just linking to a post in a different forum is allowed, but if it’s not, then just delete this post.

1 Like

To become a “Advertising Monoply” Apple will need to waste time and money just to catch up with existing features of Google or Facebook ad-tech.

So highly doubt advertising would be core business focus of Apple. They are continue to focus on hardware innovation. For example, recently with Apple Silicon transition and their future focus seems to be on Spatial Computing.

Also you could’ve link to one of the dozen of existing (clickbait-ish) articles on this instead of a hard to follow forum post.
For examples:

Note: All of these articles refer to Apple’s App Store Ads (that’s what Apple Search Ads is). It has nothing to do with ads on the internet or in Safari.

1 Like

I think you are massively overestimating the work needed and underestimating the potential dividends of developing ad suggestion algorithms.
Also, they already have a tracking monopoly on iOS, where users have been empowered to limit tracking from all tracking networks except their own.

3 Likes

The ad-driven business model is inherently unsustainable. Consider the actions taken by various platforms: Reddit blocking API access, Twitter “wall gardening” their site, and YouTube proposing to block ad-blockers.

They no longer cannot keep with the growth investors are looking for.

and why switch to ads when you are already making record profits with iPhones and Macs?

Also, they already have a tracking monopoly on iOS, where users have been empowered to limit tracking from all tracking networks except their own.

Is there any evidence anywhere that Apple is doing, or is intending to do, the same things they’ve blocked others from doing?
Apple hasn’t stopped anybody from tracking, they’ve only stopped them from doing overly-intrusive cross-app personal tracking.

I worked at ads optimization before. One thing I can tell you - when Apple decided to ban the use of IDFA for all other advertisers they also retain an ad ID (IDFV) for their own App Store search ads. Meaning that measurement is not allowed for app campaigns from platforms such as Twitter, Facebook. But their own ads are allowed to have measurement and data linked to specific users.

This is true when I worked on this project 6 months ago. Maybe they change it. I am not sure yet. But you can see the intention here.