How good is Proton Mail's free plan?

Short question:
Is the free plan worth it or do I need the paid plan?
Its just going to be a E-Mail-Client.
Thinking about moving away from web.de
:pray:t5:

Depends on your usage honestly. If you don’t use email much and don’t want to use custom domains or the proton bridge (to use thunderbird), 500mb is more than enough.

Also you can upgrade it to 1GB by doing few tasks.

2 Likes

The free plan is free, so by that definition it is definitely already worth it, as you have nothing invested in it in the first place. If you’re wondering whether it is a fully usable email account, then yes it is. Especially if you clean up your inbox once in a while and don’t hoard every notification code you get ever sent, the 1GB that you can easily get for free won’t fill up anytime soon.

1 Like

Just be aware that you can’t create more than 3 folders in the free plan, other than that it should be quite nice and usable as main email provider.

4 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t realise that! I have the paid plan and have almost 30!

Free is not always free.
In this case I have to invest my time to change my email at all my accounts.
If I do so I want to have an Idea of what I am getting into :slight_smile:
The 3 folders thing is something I would have to think about. Maby for my workplace, bankaccount and PayPal :thinking:
And keep the web.de for the rest.
Thanks so far :+1:t5:

1 Like

I find myself having another email account is actually helping me to better manage my emails that are beyond saving in my main (15 years old) email account. Now, I can:

1. Choosing a new email service that’s better and more interesting than my previous one.

2. Slowly changing my email address on various services that I am using daily. If I am not using any service today, I probably won’t use it often or might not use it anymore. So, I left the old email registered on those services as-is.

3. Labeling my emails, better organized inbox, archive, etc., which is not manageable any more with 15,000+ unread mails in my main email account :joy:

I am very happy with my new email account. Having a new email after 15 years is better than I thought.

2 Likes

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe with skiff you do not have a folder limit and they give you 10gb on the free plan instead of 1gb, though proton’s is perfectly usable even if more limited

2 Likes

Checking out skiff :+1:t5:

3 Likes

This. Skiff is doin a great job

1 Like

And remember in your decision
No IMAP in proton, if you need it

What is it good for? Besides what google tells me?
I can fabricate, Programm CNC and tell you about engine oil. But this stuff here? Im a Noob in lol

If you only want to connect via Webinterface or proton App, you’re save
But of you want to connect via a third party client or mail app, it’s not possible with proton

1 Like

Since 2020 without paying, I generally delete all emails after reading except for a few which I keep archived (online receipts and really important conversations)

I’m currently using 2MB / 500MB. Storage wise, it’s really not a problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty sure there is no private email supporting IMAP on the Free plan.

How’d you got 1GB for free? Mine only has 500MB…

and

1 Like

It depends on your daily usage of the mail. I have the free plan with imported mails from old account and I still have 900 MB free space. I think paid plan is worth if you need the entire suite of Proton like VPN, Drive and Pass.

1 Like

I will check out posteo aswell:

Then decide :slight_smile:

1 Like