Do you use the Proton suite or others?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what you use between Proton Mail and its other services and Tutanota and other services?

Do you prefer to centralize everything with Proton (mail, calendar, drive, VPN, mail generator and soon password manager) or diversify services, use?

Isn’t there a risk to centralize everything in one entity?

1 Like

Hi,

I think that this could contribute to answer your question…

1 Like

Personally, I prefer to minimise the number of parties that I’m trusting, and reduce the number of services/apps I use overall. Of the remaining few, it’s simply more convenient for me if they’re all under the same umbrella. With Proton, it’s pretty easy to not only trust but also verify their claims of privacy, and so I choose to trust them.

I do have some criticisms of Proton, but that’s unrelated to privacy, and so I won’t discuss it here.

I do understand the argument against centralising everything, which is to not put all your eggs in one basket. However, if my password manager were to get breached somehow, then every single account I have gets breached. That’s already a central point of failure. Another point would be my email, since everything is also linked to that in some way or another. Hence, instead of spreading that across 2 separate services owned by different companies, why not just put them under the same account and make it easier on myself.

Of course, this solution may not work for you, and that’s fine.

2 Likes

I have a minimalist approach and ecosystems are very convenient and what makes a lot of people like Apple, especially among the privacy community. Proton are far more trustworthy than Apple, apart from being open source, EU based and true pioneers, advocates and defenders of privacy and freedom.

I might switch to Proton Pass from Bitwarden just to have everything more cohesively under the same ecosystem (and the benefits and integrations that come with it) rather than fragmented all over the place, and it would make more sense especially as an Unlimited subscriber.

2 Likes

I currently use one of the KeePass distros, but I plan on switching to Proton Pass once it’s stable and shown to be secure. My KeePass setup is very tiring, but I prefer that over anything online. However, with the introduction of Proton Pass, I am tempted to switch over to it because I already use Proton.

Parts of me fear for the worst when confronted with the fact that if Proton goes, then everything does. But I think that’s just amygdala hijacking my fear system. I highly doubt Proton will be gone anytime soon.

As for any potential data breaches, I hope there’s a way to encrypt Proton Pass like you can with Proton Mail using two-password mode. This way, if my account is one day breached somehow, the attacker can’t see my data because Proton doesn’t have access to my other password used to decrypt my Proton data.

So some people use the Proton suite, in comparison to the dissociated service, I find the Proton suite much more expensive.

I’m here just to get your opinions.

As far as the Proton suite is concerned, I’m only interested in Poroton Mail, which I use for business and for personal use, I use Tutanota and I plan to have a single service that does personal and business at the same time.
In comparison, Proton Mail costs 48 €/year and Tutanota only 10 €/year.

I don’t need a VPN on a daily basis, I use Bitwarden for my passwords, which costs €10/year, and the only service I really use is Proton Drive, and the free version is more than enough for me (for now).
I also use SimpleLogin, and here again the free version is enough for me.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Proton is based in Switzerland, not the EU. Thats a distinction theyre keen to make when comparing themselves to Tutanota: Proton Mail vs Tutanota: Encrypted email comparison | Proton

3 Likes

You could use Skiff? It will likely have everything you’re looking for in their free plan (custom domain, generous storage, a few aliases, filters, etc.).

I’m personally quite happy with it, especially in regards to their UI/UX compared to Proton or Tuta (as someone that’s used both).

The one complaint you can make would be that Skiff is based in the US, but I don’t think that is as strong an argument for a service with audited zero knowledge encryption. The only concern which is valid (for any mail service), would be the provider being forced by law enforcement to decrypt future messages, which is outside the scope of most users threat models I would say.

I describe what I use personally in detail here. In short, I use Proton Mail and Proton Calendar (and Proton Contacts). I do use Proton Drive, but only as a backup.

I also posted an answer to a similar question here. To sum up what I wrote there:

I would recommend you use the best tools for you personally.

More generally, don’t put all your eggs in the same basket.

You should really use the best service for each one of your singular needs, and not use the same one for everything.

While Proton’s (still developing) ecosystem is nice, you should really evaluate Proton Mail, Calendar, Drive, Pass, and VPN as separate products. It’s fine to use them all, if they’re genuinely the best options for you (and they are pretty good).

Using the whole ecosystem is not required, and not really recommended (if it makes sense for your use case to use other products), since you’ll be relying on them for a lot of your stuff.

I also have some disappointments with the Proton suite in particular.

1 Like