CanvasBlocker (Firefox Extension)

Per 4.1 Extensions · arkenfox/user.js Wiki · GitHub, I think we should recommend CanvasBlocker for people who use Firefox without RFP enabled.

It is Mozilla Recommended and also (obviously) recommended by the Arkenfox project which we trust as a Firefox expert source.

Sure, we should follow the Arkenfox wiki.

2 Likes

The more complex question is what settings to use with CanvasBlocker. There are a ton, they can be quite overwhelming and confusing, and even the ArkenFox recommendations leave some ambiguity.

4 Likes

Voted, im using firefox without RFP with canvas blocker + JShelter with Privacy-Handbuch config over one years

In that regard you should probably recommend Skip Redirect too ?

Personally I tested 4-5 hours many combinations from different fingerprint-test sites. When I check the result I see that resist-fingerprint option of Firefox does not work well for below list:

• Audio API
  • DOMRect API
  • SVG API
  • TextMetrics API

Therefore I enabled resist-fingerprint but I also use only CanvasBlocker extension and I have only enabled above list. (For example the “Canvas API” protection of CanvasBlocker is disabled).

Why we don’t recommend this type of solution too.

What are the use cases for not having RPF? You can set a per site exemption for the canvas right?

It’s more usability-related:

Okay read through this. Tbh i think for the average reader this is waay too complex of a topic. We recommend arkenfox only for advanced users, I assume they can read the wiki here too. Not sure if its fit for recommending on PG. Users who struggle with all this probably are better of using Brave.

3 Likes

This is for people who don’t use Arkenfox and don’t use RFP.

In addition to these, since last year RFP caps the browser’s frame rate to 60fps, which is extremely jarring on any high refresh rate devices or displays.

I was getting by with the time zone issues and occasional breakage, but the 60fps cap is what finally turned me off of RFP for good.

I am fully aware. I just think this add-on will be too complex for those users too. Like @mika mentioned its not so straightforward how to use it. I feel that if this is at all a concern to those users they might be better of using a different browser. If it’s not convenient we scare people away.

Perhaps I’m in some tiny niche, but I use CanvasBlocker and would appreciate some researched guidance on how to best configure it.

3 Likes

is this question not relevant ?

I think Skip Redirect should be added as well since it’s also recommended by Arkenfox.

This has dated, noticed canvasblocker isn’t mentioned there anymore.

commit 24be32c51bb1fdde460c3c0071946319ce5f9339
Author: Thorin-Oakenpants <Thorin-Oakenpants@users.noreply.github.com>
Date:   Wed Nov 22 11:32:16 2023 +0000

Updated 4.1 Extensions (markdown)

That’s true (in fact it is now in the “don’t bother” section). Firefox is rolling out a new anti-fingerprinting feature called privacy.fingerprintingprotection (FPP). Arkenfox no longer recommends CanvasBlocker because FPP has made it redundant/unnecessary [if FPP is enabled].

The previous Arkenfox recommendation was:

• Use privacy.resistfingerprinting (RFP) if you can, if not use the CanvasBlocker extension.

The current Arkenfox reccomendation is:

• Use privacy.resistfingerprinting (RFP) if you can, if not use privacy.fingerprintingprotection (FPP)

For reference: FPP will become the default in Arkenfox in future releases. (more info on differences between RFP and FPP can be found here, and some context on why the CanvasBlocker recommendation was removed here

6 Likes

Ah yes, must have missed that.

1 Like

Is this recommendation (RFP) also true for Linux and MacOS users? There are people who say that it is only suitable for Windows users due to a fake of the user agent that is set to Windows, however, MacOS and Linux still reveal their OS via JavaScript.

Yes

RFP is not difficult to detect so you are already in the bucket of RFP users. Since having windows in your user agent string with RFP doesn’t subdivide this bucket further, it doesn’t matter.