CanvasBlocker extension

still worth to use canvasblocker on firefox (full screen mode + strict mode) (FPP) ??

or we no need it anymore ?

If you use Firefox then just use Arkenfox. And no you only really need uBlock Origin then.

2 Likes

Arkenfox used to recommend CanvasBlocker as an optional extension for users who disable RFP, but this recommendation has been removed after Firefox 119 and 120 added FPP (fingerprintingProtection) to its strict mode which “subtly randomizes canvas per eTLD+1, per session and per window-mode.” So, no, CanvasBlocker isn’t needed anymore.

5 Likes

there is probably a flag for firefox for this.

As in librewolf it’s in built.

2 Likes

thanks for the clarification guys
may i ask , arkenfox suggest skip redirect Skip Redirect – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US) but last update was 2 years ago
there is a better suggestion?

It would appear that the Firefox setting privacy.resistFingerprinting disables Canvas, and changes some other settings as well (time zone, etc). The extension only disables Canvas, and includes a setting to spoof(?) canvas which is less likely to break websites.

I have minimal understanding of canvas, have mercy.

You don’t really need that add-on. I think they recommended it because some uBlock lists would block pages with certain tracking parameters, and this add-on could just skip to the actual page instead, making the experience a bit smoother for you. In my own personal web browsing this doesn’t really happen often enough to bother me at all, certainly not something I would need an extra add-on for.

It would appear that the Firefox setting privacy.resistFingerprinting disables Canvas, and changes some other settings as well (time zone, etc).

Canvas works fine with FF120 and Arkenfox. If you encounter a website that reads out a canvas for some purpose and you think it’s legitimate (for example, some websites do that for generating thumbnails from pictures) then there’s an easy toggle to activate that functionality for the website and it will remember. Firefox will still maintain some anti-fingerprinting even then.

As for the other settings, yes, they’re also needed to prevent fingerprinting. The stuff I use personally still works fine, but the risk for slight breakage is a bit higher than with an unmodified Firefox.

Yeah I think I should probably install Firefox alongside LibreWolf. I think (unfortunately) I have resistFingerprinting disabled at the moment because the time zone issue messed me up trying to schedule a meeting with someone on cal.com, and the lack of canvas shows some funky bugs.

Here’s one from Trello’s favicon (it’s for work :sob:):
trello's broken favicon

1 Like

Just whitelist Trello and the favicon will work.

Instead of changing important settings globally, you could simply use different browser profiles for special use cases.