RFP vs Canvas-Blocker

title says everything

1 Like

You overthink it. Also if you use Firefox you probably could benefit from https://jshelter.org/ extension, it will also show you websites trying to fingerprint, thus you will see it is not big problem actually. Anyway there are multiple other ways to track you. So yeah, after all uBo is the only extension you need. Anyway check the site, it is one of the best to read about fingerprinting.

1 Like

uBo eliminates many security and privacy threats. That is the only extension Arkenfox.js recommend. Fingerprinting is complex tracking. While Firefox or Brave do some work against it, their approaches are different, because anything you do against could and will break sites. Fingerprinting also could be usefull, many sites do it for security, so malicious actors trying to access your accounts could be detected. Canvas blocking is just one method, but any rare extension makes you more unique, so while CB does something it also does opposite thing at the same time. Just stick with what your browser provides and you are good. I use Jshelter only in a browser without any antifingerprinting features, my Brave and Firefox are both do not need it, neither CB, Brave even do not uBo. The less extensions you have the better it will be both to fight Fingerprinting and also security.

An informative comment from the creator of Arkenfox:

2 Likes

It does nothing usefull and probably makes you even more unique, which is probably not what you want by using it? There are so many ways to track you, the most obvious are cookies, if you do not purge them CB makes less than zero sense. Than your IP also a strong vector of tracking. Also check some interesting websites to track you other ways, no CB or uBo helps:

https://lucb1e.com/randomprojects/cookielesscookies/

If you don’t mind reading one more article about fingerprinting, I highly recommend reading the Browser Fingerprinting overview written by Jonah pending addition to Privacy Guides (pretty fortuitous timing lol).

Another comment from Thorin-Oakenpants: what is ETP>Custom>Suspected fingerprinters [A: FPP] · Issue #1729 · arkenfox/user.js · GitHub

Notable quotes from the linked comment:

And with FPP, when it’s ready, it does what we want - it subtly randomizes canvas which is good enough for now for a Firefox threat model[1], and way more compat friendly.

extensions are fucking dumb for resisting FPing - end of story

1. Emphasis mine ↩︎

1 Like