Can Adguard be an alternative to uBlock Origin?

Hello,

I have the possibility to buy a life license for Adguard (including VPN, etc.).

I’d like to know it It’s worth it, because I’m not sure how the license is better than just having dns.adguard.com as a private DNS, and it that can be used as an alternative to uBlock Origin.

Thanks !

1 Like

sure you could (I Use Adguard with Safari on iOS), but uBlock Origin is more capable, and fully free, not for profit, and open source, so if thats available, its typically a better option for a browser based adblocker.

4 Likes

It is a alternative on Apple Devices, but I wouldn’t say that it is worth it buying a License. You could just buy a raspberry and run pi-hole. And for a VPN, Mullvad would be better, but this is something you have to decide.

I was asked to reply here in another thread. I represent AdGuard so take this with a grain of salt, but I promise I am trying to be objective here.

AdGuard is generally a more universal tool than uBlock Origin and any other extension, and certainly much more powerful than just a mere DNS server. It basically combines ad blocking, firewall, and a DNS filter.

The reason for that is that AdGuard works outside of the browser and controls everything, even things that the browser does not want the extensions to see. For instance, extensions are not allowed to operate on some web pages (Chrome WebStore, new tab, etc).

That said, to be fair, browser extensions have some advantages that are not easy to replicate on the outside since they have access to browser internals.

Anyways, compared to DNS AdGuard has full support for cosmetic filtering which is very important for ad blocking quality. Without it it won’t be possible to block ads on Youtube or Google search.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer !