Any thoughts on fsnotes?

its a notes manager for macos+ios
-open source project
-supports markdown plaintext rtf
-textbundle+encrypted textbundle
-syntax highlighting - over 170 lang-
-icloud sync
-encrypted notes -lock with aes-256-

searched on github+reddit but no mention of fsnotes anywhere. any thoughts?

1 Like

It looks to me like the encryption is not by default, but only for notes you select.

Do you have any experience with it?

yes, there’s an option to lock selected notes. -encrypted notes can be shared-

icloud drive is optional. you can use it offline. or create-add external folders from files app-different locations.

Folder names are not encrypted.
When I create a new note it is visible in plain text in iCloud until I encrypt the note. This means that in order for the note to never be visible in iCloud unencrypted, I would have to first create a blank note each time and enable encryption for the note and then go back into the note and write the actual note.
Cryptomator can’t be selected as a destination either, which would have been a workaround.

When I create a new note it is visible in plain text in iCloud until I encrypt the note. This means that in order for the note to never be visible in iCloud unencrypted, I would have to first create a blank note each time and enable encryption for the note and then go back into the note and write the actual note.

The UX here is confusing and definitely doesn’t put privacy-first. It’s not something I would recommend.

Our recommendations at Notebooks - Privacy Guides put encryption first.

4 Likes

@Mossturtlecoffee just checked releases. seems like folder encryption is in beta.

@matchboxbananasynergy thanks for feedback.

1 Like

fsnotes has been updated

it is possible to encrypt a folder -folder name is not encrypted- and new notes created in that folder will be encrypted by default.

1 Like

That’s great.

If you have advanced data protection enabled, all FS Notes notes should be E2E encrypted anyway, right?

I took another look at the app and have to say I’m impressed. The app feels and looks much better with the new design.

1 Like

If it’s only ios what is the advantage over the default notes app that also supports e2ee if you enable it?

It is an open source project.
Easier import and export because the notes are stored as markdown md or txt simply in a folder. And you can import your joplin notes relatively easy if you want to.

havent used notes app for a while but I guess it doesnt support:
markdown
textbundle/encrypted textbundle export
syntax highlighting
mermaid + mathjax
optional git versioning + backups

1 Like