What password manager are you using? (Poll)

You should just try it, that’s the only way to know if it’s good enough for you.

Bitwarden cloud based plus Vaultwarden selfhosted could be an option here.

I’m tempted to maybe move Bitwarden to Proton Pass and have the Vaultwarden selfhosted for backup or KeePass.

This doesn’t really add a whole lot, because its unlikely someone will self host bitwarden, iirc it uses ms sql DB. Vaultwarden is basically the same thing but meant for small scale deployments.

All of them use the same official client though.

1 Like

Keepass XC

Very interesting to see Proton Pass score a 20% already, despite being relatively new in this space. Really proves the convenience power that a service ecosystem has.

@dngray Please DISABLE polls where we can see who voted for what. This is an option, and it shouldn’t be enabled. @Lukas why did you enable this option ?

1 Like

Some people might be curious about who is using what. This is a public forum, so I don’t see an issue with making votes public, there is also a very clear warning about that.

If one wants privacy on a public forum, then their account should be pseudonymous or anonymous, at which point it really doesn’t matter if votes are public or not.

The “very clear warning” isn’t very clear.

It does, because it create categories of people. Plus, polls are almost always anonymous, so I didn’t except them not be.

2 Likes

Why is Proton Pass useless to you?

Are the friends and family you recommend it to, mostly macOS/iOS users? What about you?

As much as I enjoy 1Password, I feel like it’s not user-friendly enough for people who have never used a password manager. I also find that they care more about their Apple device users than those who are not, as the UX is nowhere near as good on Android & Windows.

• Sort option not saved on Windows app. For example, I select Sort Alphabetically and after next restart it reverts back to Newest.
  • Import from other password managers skips a lot of things.
  • No secondary fields are imported properly. For example if you have both username and email fields in 1Password, Proton Pass only imports one of it.
  • No predefined categories.
  • No auto update of the Windows app
  • No download link in the Windows app and web app. You need to go to Proton and do it manually. It doesn’t even exist on Proton Pass page.
  • No multiselect of items via CTRL or Shift, like I can in Windows Explorer and 1Password. Imagine you want to delete all items from A to D, only option is to select one by one.!
  • Can’t attach files into login items.
  • Can’t track shared items.
  • No integration between desktop app and browser extension.
  • No biometric login on browser extension.
  • Can’t use Passkey as login method
  • No duplicate item finder
1 Like

All excellent points, some of which are also why I don’t use Proton Pass as my primary PW manager. To me, Proton Pass, in its current stage, is more likely to convert people who have never used a password manager before, or people who use PW managers, but are not advance users. Proton Pass is half-baked. It’s only selling point is the Proton aliases feature, and you have to pay for it.

1 Like

In the long run, I believe I will switch to Proton Pass since I already have Proton Unlimited. However, for now, I prefer to continue using 1Password because it remains more convenient for me. I’ve been using it for over a decade, so I’m accustomed to it, and transitioning to something new from something that works fine for my purposes is always challenging. That being said, I find the development progress of Proton Pass within the past 12 months to be quite impressive.

Some small things:

• Windows app does auto update, they are just far between sometimes (the latest causes the app to stay on in the tray when closing the window).
  • No download link for the app itself? Download Proton Pass for your Browser or Mobile Device | Proton
  • “No integration between desktop app and browser extension”, I assume you mean syncing? I have not tested it recently but if you have both unlocked then it did not use to sync for me instantly, but quickly locking and unlocking the one you want updated always did the trick for me.
  • I have Passkeys as login methods for a few places, so I know it is possible. Try setting it up someplace and see if the extension does not automatically pop up asking if you want to add it.

Cannot help you with the other points though, so probably still useless for you.

I guess the reason why I love Proton Pass is because I only use it on Android.

Desktop security is an absolute mess. I ain’t signing into my password manager on any desktop OS, except maybe MacOS, but I ain’t buying a MacBook that might have 5 engineering failures that Apple will not cover under warranty until someone sues them and they’re forced to, which has happened more than enough times.

Windows app doesn‘t auto update and there is no option to check for updates.

There is no download for desktop apps in Proton Pass main page. You need to dig deeper to search for download link.

Integration between desktop app and browser means, when I unlock desktop app it should unlock browser extension like 1Password does. At the moment there is no connection between desktop and browser.

As for passkey, you can‘t login to desktop app or browser app with passkey. You can only use it with web vault

1 Like

Sorry, but I have no idea why your Windows app does not auto-update like mine does. If you press Alt and click on “File” and “Show logs”, it should show you when it last updated - and it should pretty much constantly be checking for updates while it is open.

My link was to the download page on the Proton Pass main page:

Ah, I see what you mean by integration now. No, they are not linked like that. If it did that I think I would personally disable that kind of connection, but at least I understand now. :+1:

Android users tend to care less about UI and prettiness, which explains why 1Password is so damn popular on iOS/MacOS.

[2024-07-17 14:59:36.518] [info]  [Update] Update downloaded.
[2024-07-17 15:01:09.394] [info]  [Update] Checking for updates...
[2024-07-17 15:01:09.860] [info]  [Update] No updates available.
[2024-07-18 20:40:27.815] [info]  [Update] Checking for updates...
[2024-07-18 20:40:28.293] [info]  [Update] No updates available.
[2024-08-20 23:03:15.396] [info]  [Update] Rollout distribution short-circuit triggered, r=0.2, l=0.9133016867563128, v=1.22.1
[2024-08-25 18:52:07.674] [info]  [Update] Checking for updates...
[2024-08-25 18:52:08.098] [info]  [Update] Update available; downloading...
[2024-08-25 18:52:24.229] [info]  (squirrel) startup
[2024-08-25 18:52:24.238] [info]  (squirrel) creating shortcut
[2024-08-25 18:52:29.322] [info]  [Update] Update downloaded.
[2024-08-25 18:56:23.836] [info]  (squirrel) startup
[2024-08-25 18:56:23.840] [info]  (squirrel) creating shortcut
[2024-08-25 18:56:24.393] [info]  (squirrel) startup
[2024-08-25 18:56:25.298] [info]             [Update] Checking for updates...
[2024-08-25 18:56:25.726] [info]             [Update] No updates available.

This is what I saw in the log file. It was on 1.20 version, didn’t upgrade itself and then I downloaded newest package from Proton and did the upgrade manually. It was the same when it was on 1.15 version.

As for downloads, when you go into Mail or Drive pages, you can find app downloads in the settings section but for Pass it is not there.

For browser integration, it should be optional but it must be there. 1Password and Bitwarden already have this feature for a long time.

I really prefer to use Proton Pass because I am already paying a lot of money to Proton Family package but even though there are many competitors in the market, Proton decided to publish a half baked product. Yes, it is a new product on Proton side, but they are not reinventing the wheel :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is absolutely not true. Android users care about UI. Also, Apple products are ridiculously expensive. Most people can’t afford them.