Tutanota deleted my account

Tutanota deleted my account.
May this serve as a warning. I had a tutanota account for testing and some things but almost never used it because I have a proton subscription. Appears that Tutanota removes your account after being inactive for 6 months and basically locks you out of your data. You can only gain access by paying Tutanota? Very strange practice and lock out of your data.

2 Likes

5.6. Tutao is entitled to terminate the contract without notice in case of a free of charge tariff if the account was not used for at least six months.

It’s in the ToS, so …

2 Likes
2 Likes

I would assume. I doubt many read. I probably have forgotten about it

I did got a reminder way back then that they were shifting to this policy. Its a bit undesirable but quite understandable.

1 Like

At least it’s better than proton’s policy of outright deleting account and in turn not receive emails during that period at all…

Source: Combine or delete account | Proton.

Think of the payment to reinstate your account is in lieu of the service of still receiving emails for your (free mind you) account during the inactive period.

So it sounds like tuta is better that proton for low account activity as long as there is some activity. Is that right?

That’s only good (tuta) if you’re sticking fully to the free tier. Because proton says that when you buy a paid plan and later cancel the paid plan, your proton account will never get deleted even when your on the free plan again.

So plan accordingly.