Telegram Says It Will Provide User Data to Authorities

Molly would be a great choice, especially if you don’t run trusted mobile OS. Encryption at rest, plus they are planning to reduce attack surface of webRTC and creating a text only mode.

Interesting. Last commit seems 2 years old though?

Signal doesn’t provide reproducible builds on iOS.

I’d have thought you’d know the exact reason why, since Apple is not a favorite of yours right :smile_cat:

Anyways, the issue there is iOS, not Signal.

Relevant reads:

1. How telegram makes reproducible builds in a hacky way, although even they can only reproduce parts of the app: Reproducible Builds for iOS and Android
  2. Why signal can’t: Reproducible builds · Issue #641 · signalapp/Signal-iOS · GitHub

Interestingly, a lot of wallet apps seem to be trying to do the same, but can’t despite dedicated resources. Ping Tim apple for this :frowning:

1 Like

I do know why, but last time I brought that up, I was categorized as “an apple hater.”

Apple intentionally makes it hard to work with iOS outside of what they approve for it. Plus any OS that can deny you service to your device through its walled garden and call it security is just stupid. Denial of service is also a threat (apple ID, monopolization of services, etc.). Very interesting to see their mental gymnastics though lol.

1 Like

Using SGX gives a false sense of security, you clearly didn’t read the post. I will refrain from continuing this discussion as you don’t have any constructive discussion skills, resorting to ad hominem attacks and jumping to other arguments that is completely irrelevant like Email when I just proved your that your point is wrong lmao. If you have a better solution other than saying SimpleX Chat will never succeed for some ““reasons”” then enlighten us, because Signal will probably not survive that long thanks for their centralized nature. There’s a reason Email and XMPP still exist today, even IRC but not centralized messaging apps when they are not making enough profit off user data.

I already shared some of Signal’s problems According to Elon Musk, Signal has "known vulnerabilities that are not being addressed" - #14 by jerm not to mention their insecure Multi-device support algorithm, which SimpleX Chat refuses to copy, because it doesn’t meet their app’s security standards. My post shows how Signal doesn’t not care at all about end point security and consider it out of their scope.

No point in arguing with Signal stans.

Quoting Elon musk on privacy and security threads? New low lmao. I don’t think you have any actual technical critiques left. Hopefully the reader goes through the sources cited, and not on our interpretations of them. Further conversation would indeed be circular. Have a nice day!

1 Like

OK, thanks for the clarification, I’m rather disappointed, I was expecting other things from Signal, I don’t understand why they don’t go along with Molly, especially as on their forum I see quite a few discussions revolving around that.

Why couldn’t Signal enable self hosting similar to TOR nodes in the future? Financial costs seems like a trivial reason to dislike the app, if anything that speaks to it’s popularity.

Molly still runs on Signal servers, which Signal doesn’t like a lot (since Moxie’s time in fact). Plus a lot of Molly’s hardening brings in user friction, which signal doesn’t want. Think of it like this: Molly is to Signal what Graphene OS is to Pixel OS to a certain extent - A set of addon security features that bring in some friction, but enhance security a lot. Now why doesn’t Stock Pixel OS take every feature that other OSs have? Because they have to balance between hardening and user experience. It’s very delicate in balance.

I think Signal is one of the best things to happen for normal users who want decent security and privacy, but no anonymity (think Whatsapp and iMessage), while Molly serves more security features at the cost of user experience.

That’s where Telegram actually flourished. User experience being good led to masses ignoring their lack of encryption or accepting their dubious marketing. Imagine if Signal was a text only messenger, with no webRTC, stickers, etc. which could not deliver detailed notifications due to locked databases (which is what molly might eventually become) - No large population would adopt it.

As it is, everyone in my family uses Signal, because it’s similar to Whatsapp. I don’t think I’d be able to help them use Molly, they are too used to the features they need.

2 Likes