Saily - data only esim (1GLOBAL)

Website

https://saily.com

Short description

Saily is a data only esim provider.

Saily is owned by Nord Security. Source: https://saily.com/about-us/

It uses 1GLOBAL in the background as provider. Similarly Revolut uses this for their ESIM offerings.

Why I think this tool should be added

Data sim cards are needed in parity to VOIP for connectivity on the go.

Getting simcards somewhat privately for data on the go is quite a struggle and often expensive so I am always looking for new options.

I recently stood upon Saily. Now not the biggest fan of the NordVPN company but i also don’t think it is the worst.

The privacy policy isn’t amazing but yet far more reasonable than other providers. It doesn’t require strange background checks or identity documents.

Section on Privacy Guides

New section

I wonder what you all think of this. I do believe we need recommendations in this area.

Might make sense in places where prepaid SIMs aren’t available.

2 Likes

My thoughts. Also prepaid offerings are often pretty bad for data usage. The pricing options here are far more reasonable.

1 Like

Depends, my prepaid plan is 9.90 euros for unlimited data, SMS and calls + 32GB in EU/EEA.

I fail to perceive any significant advantage in comparison to a service such as Silent.link, which accepts XMR payments. While it is true that Saily might offer more cost-effective options for larger data packages, the primary focus of this site is on privacy rather than bargains. I believe it is inadvisable for PG to recommend any service affiliated with NordSecurity.

2 Likes

Unless you’re a millionaire or a billionaire, then silent.link is pretty useless for data usage on the go.

In most European states it is around 1-2 EUR per GB. I think that is affordable. Might be more expensive in other regions. I don’t know.

2 Likes

Not as bad as i remembered actually. Or did that change? Should try again perhaps.

That’s pretty insane. Can you share where you got this?

Never too keen on listing something owned by a company that a company that is notable for not disclosing security breaches in a timely fashion - and provides a VPN service a long way off the criteria for our site.

If this is the least worst option then perhaps listing it is fine. But if we do want to add this as a section would it be worth waiting for something with slightly better privacy credentials? Or should we treat this like Canary Mail, which is listed - despite it being closed-source - due to the limited options for email clients on iOS that support PGP E2EE.

1 Like

Not as bad as i remembered actually. Or did that change? Should try again perhaps.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of the previous pricing.

In my opinion, the optimal choice is to purchase a local SIM card, provided that no KYC requirements are imposed in that state. Sadly, this nowadays only applies to the USA, Canada, and few European states.

For all other scenarios, it’s fine to use something like Silent.link.

Yeah i am fully with you. It’s not like i am endorsing this. More thinking it could be considered / should be tested more.

1 Like

moved long post to its own thread: Mobile Internet Options

They have their own app sadly, any provider that does it without an app and kyc?

It’s a local provider.