Riseup as a free VPN?

Haven’t seen too much discussion about them.
Already searched the Github.

Donation funded: https://liberapay.com/riseupvpn

No accounts.

They have five locations: Seattle, Miami, Montreal, France, and New York (by Calyx)

Speeds are often quite fast too: 40-120Mbps

Clients are open source for like a decade now:

They are really politically motivated, so you would get more attention when used. I am not against any political strand.

Afaik, they don’t have audits.

Is there any reason to choose ride up over Proton?

2 Likes

Proton requires a persistent account and I don’t like how they market their pricing and “deals”.

1 Like

Technology

Minimum to Qualify:

• Support for strong protocols such as WireGuard & OpenVPN. :orange_circle:

No idea about Bitmask performance. I don’t see any strong adoption other than RiseUp/Calyx themselves. Nor any audits that i found.

• Killswitch built in to clients. :white_check_mark:
  • Multihop support. Multihopping is important to keep data private in case of a single node compromise. :negative_squared_cross_mark:
  • If VPN clients are provided, they should be open source, like the VPN software they generally have built into them. We believe that source code availability provides greater transparency about what your device is actually doing. :white_check_mark:

Best Case:

• WireGuard and OpenVPN support. :negative_squared_cross_mark:
  • Killswitch with highly configurable options (enable/disable on certain networks, on boot, etc.):negative_squared_cross_mark:
  • Easy-to-use VPN clients :white_check_mark:
  • Supports IPv6. We expect that servers will allow incoming connections via IPv6 and allow you to access services hosted on IPv6 addresses. :orange_circle:

To check

To check

I haven’t checked the rest yet, but we should check if it fits the minimum criterias first before even checking if it’s worth being recommended.

2 Likes