Proton explains the state of AI and privacy, and their roadmap

Very insightful

3 Likes

It’s ironic that "Open"AI’s product is the least open one.

1 Like

It’s called deception

But that aside Sam Altman, OpenAI’s CEO, has acknowledged that the name might not be the best fit anymore, stating he would “pick a different name” if he could do it over. The company now interprets “open” to mean that “everyone should benefit from the fruits of AI after it’s built,” rather than referring to open-source development

2 Likes

Good save ? :rofl::rofl:

I would describe it more as a hijacking from their original mission, by Sam Altman.

Researchers will be strongly encouraged to publish their work, whether as papers, blog posts, or code, and our patents (if any) will be shared with the world.

The moment they decided to withhold GPT-2 in 2019 from open publication in 2019 (right before they became a for-profit) was the moment OpenAI was lost. They let Altman’s greed take over, somehow. The lack of a backbone across many non-profit boards in the tech industry generally is disappointing.

1 Like

Did any of you actually read the article ? I recommend it, it’s a bit long but isn’t overly technical. It’s not a typical Proton blog post, it’s more of a reflexion on how to have private AIs. One way is local (they explain two ways there) and the other is homographic computation. Basically, give the transformers encrypted data which they will process like any other data, then receive the output and decrypt it. This solution is still very far from production.

1 Like

Yes i did. Exceptional piece of information, noticing generally that the qyality of the proton blog has improved a lot.

2 Likes

Dont take anything thst man says he is a con.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Why?

Local models cannot match those working in cloud unless you have a very powerful laptop. I tried several times but could not bear the response time and crashes.

1 Like

WARNING: I didn’t verify all the information available in the links I share in this post for accuracy, use your best judgement to understand what you should believe in and what not. Also, I stopped watching Rob Braxman’s videos many months ago, so I don’t know if anything changed.

With that out of the way, I have various links that point to criticisms towards Rob Braxman from various sources.

Privacy Guides forum:

Techlore forum:

GrapheneOS forum:

Twitter:

Reddit:
https://old.reddit.com/r/degoogle/comments/zf40xs/embarrassed_that_i_got_swindled_by_rob_braxman/?rdt=51538

Lemmy:

All Things secured (Youtube and Odysee channel):

Most of the relevant information in these links is easy to find and fast to read.

TLDR: Rob Braxman misleads its viewers to buy his products of dubious quality, giving various times bad advice and spreading misinformation about privacy, security and anonymity. Some of his videos are also clickbait.

6 Likes

Braxman pretty much scares people into using his own products which are very insecure compared to the alternatives available in the market.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I’ll have a look!

1 Like

Completely out of subject, I guess you posted in the wrong thread.

1 Like

I agree that it is out of subject, but I didn’t know if it deserved its own thread and I didn’t want to left a question unanswered.

The mentioned question:

This user asked why Rob Braxman shouldn’t be trusted.

Maybe my post and some answers to it could be moved to this thread by a Privacy Cuides’ @team member or a new thread can be created.

From now on, I will try to remember to use the “Reply as a linked topic” functionality for situations like this, as I suppose that would be the best approach.

1 Like

This just deserve it’s own thread, not in anyway linked.

1 Like

Ok. :+1: