PayPal Donations: Can it be made possible to make PayPal donations to PrivacyGuides?

Check this box to affirm you have no conflict of interest.

on

Website

https://www.privacyguides.org/en/about/donate/

Short description

Good morning,

I know people don’t like to talk about financials, but it’s necessary.

Speaking for myself, I’m struggling financially, but the PrivacyGuides community is of great importance to my life so I’m ready to make the sacrifice.

I made my first donation sometime ago and it took me a long whileto figure it out but I was successful.

I’ve been trying to make a donation again tonight and I’m sure I’ll figure it out, but it’s just not a straightforward process.

Also, it’s not entirely clear in the donation description if the donation is received fully by PrivacyGuides.

Thank you for reading my question.

Why I think this tool should be added

To help the community thrive!

Section on Privacy Guides

Alternate Payment processors?

1 Like

i dont think we should encourage people to use paypal given it’s privacy practises.

But let alone that. Please do not donate money if you cannot miss it and you struggle financially as you say. I love that you admire the community so much but it is a non-profit.

You also asked if PG receives all the money. All transactions (especially also at paypal) do cost money, so the simple answer is no. This goes for any organisation.

Magic grants who manages the fund also has costs: https://magicgrants.org/funds/fund_fees

You can find more info on their website.

1 Like

If you donate to Privacy Guides via GitHub sponsors with a personal GitHub account, there are no fees and so we receive the full amount. If you donate with a GitHub organization account there is a 3%-6% fee depending on how you donate.

The link shared by @ph00lt0 is not accurate: MAGIC Privacy Guides Fund.

PayPal does not charge any fees on donations to MAGIC here either, but you should not use this link to donate to Privacy Guides specifically, because there’s no way to track which donations made on that page are meant for Privacy Guides as opposed to MAGIC or another MAGIC fund. Thus the donation will simply go to MAGIC’s general fund.

Unfortunately, as far as I’m aware there is no way for us to create a PayPal Giving Fund page for ourselves as a fiscally hosted organization. PayPal only seems to allow for one per charity, and MAGIC has of course already created their own.

If you would like to donate by some means other than GitHub Sponsors you can email info@magicgrants.org for more information.

Also, within the next few months we will have our own payment processing page which will accept credit/debit and cryptocurrency.

2 Likes

You can donate to Privacy Guides via this PayPal fundraiser: Privacy Guides - September 2024

But I’d also reiterate this point:

1 Like

Question: why do you not take crypto (monero) donations?

1 Like

Like I said,

3 Likes

I appreciate your reply!

So it’s best for us to wait until the new payment processing page that allows credit cards is set up?

Will PayPal be accepted?

Is PayPal considered a secure way of transferring money? PayPal is just so fast and easy.