Midori Browser (Gecko Browser for Desktop, Android)

This doesn’t look like something we’d recommend. The GitHub repo for this current iteration of Midori was created about a month ago and has 11 stars. Pretty much nothing in terms of documentation anywhere.

For some reason when they moved from GitLab they recreated the repo from scratch on GitHub instead of porting the commit history over. The number of abandoned repos Midori seems to have laying around the internet just in general strikes me as rather unprofessional/sloppy development.

I’m looking through the history of Midori being taken over by “Astian” and the whole thing strikes me as very strange. Astian’s website in general leaves a lot to be desired, with broken links and incomplete pages.

The integration of their cloud and VPN services into the browser isn’t ideal. Brave is getting enough flak for that currently as-is, and Brave’s a well-known provider unlike “Astian VPN”…

We avoid recommending Firefox forks in most cases for the reasons explained in the Librewolf thread, and Midori doesn’t even seem to come close to Librewolf quality, so I see no benefit to using it over the more mainstream browsers.

4 Likes