Is it worth taking all the effort and struggle with the privacy friendly apps if I am using Apple devices?

Why would you assume I hate challenges? And why would you assume I think proprietary is the devil?

In fact, I support the use of many proprietary related software if I deem it’s appropriate in my eyes. For example, I would use Chrome over Firefox (if there’s no Brave), or I would use official Snap apps over unofficial Flatpak apps. But that’s not related to the matter of this topic.

I am simply stating the fact regarding the situation of WhatsApp’s E2EE, which you seem to fail to counter reasonably.

No, it isn’t. Becuase…

You are not Meta. Therefore, you can’t assume for them.

However, everyone here can think of the possibility of something happening, not saying it will happen for 100%. It’s just nobody knows. But it seems you always assume otherwise. Believing everything they told you? Without any curiosity?

Did they know all the facts inside out of Meta/WhatsApp operations and government orders?

From my point of view regarding Signal’s article, they just wanted to protect their protocol, which WhatsApp is using. And there’s nothing wrong about it. They just needed to do their things. But the fact as stated in the article is only one part of the whole story. For one, I don’t see they talked about the metadata. Interestingly, the article ended with:

We believe that WhatsApp remains a great choice for users concerned with the privacy of their message content.

Yes, the great choice for privacy concerned users. Maybe, they should tell that to Natalie Edwards, who somehow got caught because WhatsApp’s E2EE didn’t work as intended, in which all the evidences used in the case, which were leaked by the system, are still unknown to the public.

1 Like

I’m just a single data point and anecdotal at that but searching for myself indicates they are honoring my opt-out requests. For how long? Who knows. Friends and relatives have searched for me using various engines and they get no results. Currently, Google Search Services have been rummaging around for two weeks and only finding very obscure posts from a job related site from 2005.