iPhone Face ID

iPhone keeps wanting me to configure Face ID.
Are there any known issues with this security feature? I am hesitant. Currently I just use a long pass-code to unlock the phone.

Update based on responses:
Summary of what I think I have heard:

Positive for use of Apple Face ID:
-Protects your phone by reducing the risk of someone looking over your shoulder (or cameras) and seeing your passcode.
-There is no problem using Face ID If your Risk Profile is low

Negative side:
-You can be forced to use your face to unlock the phone, either by Authorities or bad guys.

I wonder if simply by the use of Face ID, a person is tacitly agreeing to bio-metrics and authorizing Apple to use/share with third parties?

According to Frontpage-Terms of Service, Apple gets low marks (D grade) by having us agree to:
-Content you post may be edited by the service for any reason
-The service can delete specific content without reason and may do it without prior notice
-This service may collect, use, and share location data
-Terms may be changed any time at their discretion, without notice to the user
-Many different types of personal data are collected
(source: https://tosdr.org/en/frontpage#ratings)

1 Like

It’s useful if you’re concerned with shoulder surfing or security cameras.

Face ID can be tricked, but this isn’t something that the average person should worry about.

4 Likes

In some countries police can use biometrics legally to unlock your phone but can’t demand your password.

Facial recognition can be fooled with hyper realistic latex face masks, but these cost a few thousand currently.

4 Likes

I already imagined several times the situation of a cop grabbing a “suspect’s” phone and pointing into the offender face and the phone unlocking. In some countries I bet this could be legal.

In the other hand, forcing or coercing brutally someone to input a password may be less acceptable.

By any means I’m advocating against Face ID but the thought crossed my mind a couple of times about this situation in specific.

I don’t agree with this, even if you ignore the issue of coercion. With the improvements of AI, it will only get easier to bypass.

1 Like

One thing is that face ID on iOS might not work very well against a dead body like Touch ID does. But you’re dead anyway if that happens so it doesn’t really matter much.

Opinion: biometrics should always be recommended against as a sole form of authentication. It could be somewhat helpful as a form of 2FA, but it will always be worse than a good password

1 Like

FaceID has an option to be attention-aware, i.e. you have to look at the phone with open eyes. They can’t easily force your eyes open without their hands being in the way either - also this would amount to physical violence/the $5 wrench method and might be illegal even for cops in most jurisdictions.

It uses a dot projector to take a 3D scan of your face. AI can’t just magically bypass it.

1 Like

It’s not always worse than a password. Incidents of thieves watching you input your password and then stealing your phone are common. Biometrics are the best defense against it since they can’t get in without you there.

1 Like

As fria said, FaceID doesn’t simply compare a picture it’s a 3D scan/model of your head.

2 Likes

The fifth amendment protects against self incrimination. This means you can’t be forced to give up your passwords (also, what if you ‘forget’ the password).

However, the same legal protections don’t apply to biometric data. Meaning a judge can order you to unlock the phone with FaceID. You could refuse, but you would be held in contempt of court and jailed until you unlock it.

Yes for certain threat models it’s not ideal. But getting arrested by the cops isn’t everyone’s threat model. And anyway if you turn your phone off or hold the power button and volume button for a few seconds it disables Face ID.

1 Like

For an average person, Face ID is good. It’s more convenient and protects against shoulder surfing or cameras.

Being forced to unlock your phone by the police isn’t something that an average person should worry about.

5 Likes

Whether to enable it or not depends on ur threat model.

1 Like

True. Especially in America police are targeting minorities using privacy invasive tactics. They used to have ‘stop and frisk’ to target ‘high crime areas’. This practice was ruled unconstitutional, but now police use ‘digital stop and frisk’ tactics.

Minorities have faced wrongful arrest and prosecution in America for a long time, but now its gotten higher tech using warrant-less searches, facial recognition, etc.

I’m glad you don’t face this threat, but many do daily (including phone searches).

https://www.cryptoharlem.com/our-mission

Update based on responses:
Summary of what I think I have heard:

Positive for use of Apple Face ID:
-Protects your phone by reducing the risk of someone looking over your shoulder (or cameras) and seeing your passcode.
-There is no problem using Face ID If your Risk Profile is low

Negative side:
-You can be forced to use your face to unlock the phone, either by Authorities or bad guys.

I wonder if simply by the use of Face ID, a person is tacitly agreeing to bio-metrics and authorizing Apple to use/share with third parties?

According to Frontpage-Terms of Service, Apple gets low marks (D grade) by having us agree to:
-Content you post may be edited by the service for any reason
-The service can delete specific content without reason and may do it without prior notice
-This service may collect, use, and share location data
-Terms may be changed any time at their discretion, without notice to the user
-Many different types of personal data are collected
(source: https://tosdr.org/en/frontpage#ratings)

That is not going to happen. Your biometrics are stored only in your device. They are not sent to Apple server or anything like that.

2 Likes

I highly recommend reading Apple’s official documentation on Face ID: About Face ID advanced technology - Apple Support

Face ID data—including mathematical representations of your face—is encrypted and protected by the Secure Enclave. […] Face ID data doesn’t leave your device and is never backed up to iCloud or anywhere else.

Within supported apps, you can enable Face ID for authentication. Apps are notified only as to whether the authentication is successful. Apps can’t access Face ID data associated with the enrolled face.

(Emphasis mine)

3 Likes

It uses infrared so if you’re dead there’s not going to be much heat. Also you can set it to require you to look at the screen.

1 Like