Introducing Signal Call Links

From changelog:

Introducing Call Links: The missing link for calendar invites and impromptu gatherings.

★ Now you can quickly create an easy link that anyone on Signal can use to join a group call without having to join a Signal group chat first.
★ Call links are reusable and ideal for recurring phone dates with your best friends or weekly check-ins with your coworkers.
★ You can manage your call links, control approval settings, and copy links from the calls tab for quick sharing.

6 Likes

can you share the signal version on which this feature was released. I an not sure if i got this update. I am still figuring how to get a call link.

It is in the latest beta version that the functionalities can be found.

1 Like

Which can only be downloaded via Play Store with an opted-in Google account.
Yay Signal :clown_face:

1 Like

Yikes…

Is there really no other way to get it?

Waiting for someone to upload it to APKMirror? :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Or use Aurora store, search signal, select manual download, type version 147000,

edit: They also have 147100, source

If someone can share a way allowing us to find out the build number, then we can simply use aurora store to download it, without opting into beta programme.

1 Like

I don’t use Aurora, but sure if that’s within your threat model, that may work.

version 7.21.0

org.thoughtcrime.securesms
versionCode 147100

They already have a self-updater in the website version. They could just add a beta channel option.

This is asinine.

All other messengers that are worth mentioning provide a way to get beta versions outside the Play Store. Only Signal is incapable of doing so.

There’s a desktop version beta also, you can try call links there
https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007318471-Signal-Beta

This ignores how they will get feedback and reports. Also, most users should get access to the stable version for security critical software anyway, so offering it on their website just increases confusion for the end user on if they should choose the beta or stable. It will just lead to the same ridiculous threads on their forums every week about if beta is better/worse than stable. Google Play facilitated beta is often a better choice for security critical, resource scarce projects with no anti-google ideologies to peddle.

This was me repeating what is often cited when other users ask about alternative app download methods. It was mostly tongue in cheek :slight_smile:

Also apologies for dragging the thread off topic. Would request @moderators to split this into a new conversation or remove the offending parts from this thread.

1 Like

Just wait 2-3 days guys it would be released in stable version. Also this not that of huge update that you need to really hurry about. Also you can test it out with desktop beta without needing an account anywhere.

Some time ago Jami was removed. This feels like a viable replacement for video-conferencing apps. I don’t believe there are any video conferencing tool alternatives listed. (Zoom, Teams, etc)

I don’t think signal call is a good substitute as it requires a phone number to create an account, which is more costly and inconvinent to replace.

That’s fairly normal for teleconferencing. In any case you would use your existing phone number and no need to replace the number after given Signal’s privacy options.