I’m quitting this privacy journey

Rant Warning

Thanks everyone from privacy guides for helping me become more privacy focused over years but recently I have really reflected on myself and my choices, my threat model and for years I have been silently struggling. I deleted social medias, left isolated cuz Facebook and no one joined signal (they did but it wasn’t great experience), left google products and faced a lot of inconvenience, used ugly looking foss apps & used bs operating systems like linux which wasted thousands of my hours of precious time, arguing with people with elitist mentality (linux superior, grapheneos superior, privacy superior).

In the end, I have realised convenience is better for me over this privacy bs and yeah I know good threat model === avoid this situation, it’s not black white blah blah all or nothing blah blah, but that’s it, I’m leaving…

Thanks once again everyone for everything, just wanted to vent out a little rent somewhere, sorry if it doesn’t make any sense.!

7 Likes

It seems like the consequence of poor threat modeling and poor decisions.

This is what happens when instead of properly threat modeling, people just say: Big tech is bad, avoid big tech, don’t use big tech! Same goes for social media.

There is a thing called balance.

Degooling and similar things are complete nonsense, fight me on that.

7 Likes

Try to put your mental and emotional health first. I know it’s hard, but the best solution in your situation, in my opinion, is to talk frankly with a professional who will listen to you and be able to determine if there is pathology or psycho-emotional wear and tear.
Be healthy and most importantly… happy.

original post

6 Likes

OFC you are entitled to your opinions, but this does not mean everyone has to agree. For instance, for me, privacy is not BS, but thing every sane person should fight for and try to, if not use, spread. Just not to let bigtech profit from our data (its obvious that bigtech earns quite sophisticated sums of money by trading our data; thats why they collect it left&right)

Now you must be either kidding or be ironic… degoogling (leaving google far behind) has proven to be second best decision in my life (first being marrying my wife ofc :slight_smile: )

Regardless, @Smartbirb, farewell to you. Let bigtech earn on your data…

3 Likes

I will assume you aren’t using Android, Chromium, etc.

@Lukas No, Im not.

Okay, then you just switched from one privacy-invasive corporation to the other, unless you’re using a Linux phone.

2 Likes

No man, Apple stopped to be privacy-invasive with release of (beta so-far) iOS 18/macOS Sonoma)

1 Like

Yeah, sure. I will just agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Just try it.

Apple products and services or what?

Both.
Fact is that Apple had been constantly evolving. In the direction of privacy. They added (and keep doing so) more & more priv oriented features.

Yes, they’re adding privacy features that protect your data from other companies while simultaneously building and growing their advertising network. In simple words, they’re just building an advertising monopoly for Apple devices.

5 Likes

At the same time they are developing features to block ads altogether (adblocker of sorts even has its own submenu now in Settings > General > Ads; iOS 18 bta 5).

And guess what? Its operational.

https://discuss.privacyguides.net/t/apple-shows-how-little-they-give-a-fuck-about-its-users-and-removes-leading-vpns-from-the-russian-app-store/19301

How Tim Cook Surrendered Apple to the Chinese Government

Apple Has a Slavery Problem

Apple is becoming an ad company despite privacy claims

How Apple uses anti-competitive practices to extort developers and support authoritarian regimes

I’m barely scratching the surface here.

13 Likes

@Lukas seriously man? They remove from Russian AppStore because of sanctions not anything else.

ALL the rest is just FUD.

Sure.

3 Likes

Is it still logging everything you do on the App Store? That’s my main problem with them, privacy-wise

1 Like

Personally, I wouldn’t trust them after it was found that Apple didn’t respect your privacy toggles.

1 Like

It is funny, OP complains about arguing and his own thread is being used for it…
Anyway, OP, if you see my history you will see I am also struggling. So, my advice would be to take a step back and reflect on your needs and take simple baby steps (I know I should tell myself the same).
A service is convenient for you? You like it? Just use it. You don´t need anyone´s approval. As mmablock said, your mental and emotional health should come first.
Good luck!

10 Likes