How's SimpleX?

I want to use SimpleX for communication not necessarily tied to my real identity while I use Signal for communicate with those have my phone number. Does it function flawlessly like Signal?

No lag during calls? I’m curious if it’s smooth like Signal.

2 Likes

It’s certainly a bit rougher around the edges than Signal, especially with group chats. It’s also certainly less buggy than Session.

I think you should just give it a try and see if it will work for you anyways, but no, I haven’t seen any private/secure messengers that Just Work :tm: in the same way Signal does (yet).

6 Likes

I’ve been using it sparingly for a while. It’s been working without issue for me. Group chat improved recently, it’s still under development.
The only issue I see is that some other people using it in my group chat won’t receive message until they reopen the app. I’m pretty sure it’s linked to aggressive battery saving of smartphone, and the fix is on dontkillmyapp.com. since simplex is not as popular as Facebook, it won’t get added to exclusion list for the aggressive battery optimization.

1 Like

I just woke up now for a few consecutive nights with my phone mildly warm so I checked the battery usage of Graphene and it seems like SimpleX has a high idle battery power consumption which is a shame because I kind of like the ease of setting up accounts.

This is a huge deal breaker for me. Because I want a new phone :sweat_smile:, I will keep it installed, use it and let it ruin the battery life or until it fixes high standby power. When I get a new phone, SimpleX wont be in it anymore.

1 Like

My understanding is that simplex does not uses the google cloud to get its notification of new messages and calls.

After some research into how push notifications work on Android, and open-source alternatives to Google push notifications, we discovered how to avoid sharing device tokens with any servers.

Source

Do note that phone os provider has been found to secretly share the content (and metadata) of notification.

Link

So in this case, simplex not relying on google cloud infrastructure for notificstion is a good thing. It does come with tje downsite of additional battery usage.

As a solution, if you dont expect to receive phine call, I found out that the connection settings to check every 10 minutes is light on battery.

Must be your battery optimization you selected on first open. I selected best for battery. My usage is fine. Check your settings.

1 Like

Yes, and the nitifications setti gs are explained quickly in this page

I don’t know what this app provides better than a signal with a burner number

Signal requires a phone number, which everyone hates. It also uses it as a unique identifier unless you setup a nickname, which then becomes a unique identifier, while SimpleX doesn’t have any unique identifiers, not even random numbers.

Not only that, but Signal wastes a lot of money on verifying all of those phone numbers.

Signal is centralized, while SimpleX is decentralized.

Signal server source code is just code over the wall, it’s useless. Meanwhile, you can self-host your own SimpleX relay.

You can also read this, where SimpleX founder talks about Signal limitations: https://www.reddit.com/r/SimpleXChat/comments/1afgrcj/comments_on_comparisons_of_simplex_with_other/

He is one of the rare human beings who criticizes Signal instead of shilling it and calling it a gold standard.

@epoberezkin would be the best person to answer your question, tho.

4 Likes

I have it now set to every 10 mins instead of realtime and usage is easier on the battery now instead of always on.

2 Likes

I criticise pretty much everything, including what we do, as it’s the only way to raise the bar.

With private message routing SimpleX added in 5.8 (still opt-in, will be default in 6.0) and many stability improvements, and with quite reduced battery usage, SimpleX got much better than even a couple months before.

It does not yet reach Signal’s level of reliability - it would be strange if it did given the age and the team size.

So whether it’s acceptable is a very individual question. If you try it, and it’s not good enough for you yet, I would recommend re-checking in 3-6 months - we evolve it quite quickly, so it’ll be a very different level product by the end of the year.

If you don’t like the weather in London, come back in 2 hours.

11 Likes

Is it possible to have more than 1 PC device with same profile? And how to connect it?

the only issue i find that is this does not have a option if i want to use google for push notification or not this should be there if some want to use it.
other than that the linux app is just unusable now they have a flatpak but from the design to the ui to user experience neither it use gtk4 nor it use qt6 it is a messy app. they need to make there own app with gtk4 or qt6 for linux.

You can get the Linux app here: Releases · simplex-chat/simplex-chat · GitHub

(post deleted by author)

Read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/SimpleXChat/comments/1bwd1k2/comment/kyyd5ow/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

And this: Evgeny Poberezkin - Why privacy becoming a norm requires venture funding

Both are written by the founder of SimpleX. That’s all I could find.

• Running Signal costs around $14 million per year. (Requiring and verifying phone numbers costs them $6 million, which is pretty comical.)

• Signal has zero ways of monitizing their messenger.

• Signal is completely centralized.

• The reason why Signal still exists today is because they received $100 million from a billionaire.

If you want Signal to survive, you need to donate to the Signal Foundation.

2 Likes

They have a donation within the app and gives out badges.

(post deleted by author)

Because people typically hate that.

And what do people in this forum think about the Signal foundation?

I have no complaints so far. I’m sure at some point I might (Because its unreasonable to expect to agree with every decision an organization makes). I have a lot of respect for Signal and those behind it (both before and after the foundation was formed)

there should be a reason to do that

If you and I can want a private messenger to succeed and can contribibute towards that goal, why would it be any different for someone with more money? I am often skeptical of large donors, but Brian Acton seems earnestly and authentically interested in Signals success and mission.

My guess is his interest is in part the result of how things played out with Whatsapp and wanting a second chance at building a better private messenger that isn’t co-opted by Meta et al.

like useless “story” feature :smiley:

Because many people like that kind of feature. You can call them “useless” but it isn’t any more useless or frivolous than the emoji you just used. Should they have ignored emojis and reactions because some people consider them frivolous or not serious?

Signal has always been a messenger that hopes to appeal to the mainstream to the extent that is possible without compromising on security. From the beginning they’ve sought to make privacy accessible to the masses. Part of that means building a messenger that is not just functional but is also fun to use, useful for a variety of types of users, easy, and familiar feeling.

3 Likes

That was an inteesting read. That part made me laugh

Mass adoption requires a “whole product”, to make this product attractive and usable for majority of the users 9. For example, many people say that the absence of built-in stickers in SimpleX Chat is a blocker for adoption, and therefore, counterintuitively, we will need to add stickers to make it more private.