How To Make The Chrome Browser For Windows Private As Possible

Yesterday I decided to install the latest google chrome beta version for windows just to see if it had changed very much. My question is how to make the browser as private as possible. I already know that google is mainly a advertising company that has a browser, I’m thinking there must be some methods in doing what I’m wanting to do.

Step 1: Uninstall Chrome
Step 2: Install a browser that actually cares about your privacy such as Firefox, Brave or Mullvad Browser.

9 Likes

I thought you would probably say something similar to this, I already have several different browsers installed on my windows 11 pro computer. Among them are brave beta, tempest browser, vivaldi snapshot, as well as edge chromium stable.

Then I’m quite curious of why do you feel the need to use Chrome as well when you’re already aware that it is really not a privacy respecting browser, and it is practically impossible to make it respect your privacy?

1 Like

There might be some purposes, such as using Google services like Meet which are as privacy invasive as Chrome itself but might be enforced by one’s employer, school, etc.

In this case, only use Google first-party products in Chrome and do anything else in an open source browser of your choice such as Firefox, Brave, ungoogled-chromium.

What do you mean Chrome based browsers? If it’s chromium, then, why not using Brave browser?

I already have the latest beta 64-bit version of brave installed on my computer, along with the latest snapshot version of vivaldi along with a chromium based browser that you might not have heard of as of yet: https://tempest.com/ tempest is actually more secure than the chrome browser.

@DavyP
Tempest (for Android) appears to be a Firefox fork, which is MPL, where is the source code? They’re legally obligated to provide it.

It gets worse, latest Tempest for Android is based on Firefox 116.2.0, which is a month outdated with twenty known security issues: https://divestos.org/misc/ffa-dates.txt

so:

• proprietary ✓
  • violating licenses ✓
  • outdated ✓
  • insecure ✓
  • bold claims ✓

great job Tempest!

7 Likes

brave is kinda the best chromium based browsers out there in terms of security and privacy but the bloat should be removed ofcourse.

I wrote a script for linux ( I still need to do the testing though), you may modify it for your use-case:

It is secure, its not private. you pretty much have to degoogle it, so ungoogled-chromium is the best bet but as I said best chromium is brave without the bloat.

Whatever works on google chrome, should work (in theory) on brave.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I think it’s still good to have Chrome installed as an option. I hope it’s not doing tracking of other apps / net traffic in the background. I am using it only for Google services connected with my Google account and secondary with a clear profile for websites that are not working correctly on other browsers. I am using mainly Firefox-Arkenfox for the webs when I am logged in, Safari only for Netflix and other streaming platforms other than Youtube, and Mullvald + Torbrowser for general browsing.

Man, it’s a Chromium-fork… It’s clear even from the UI of the browser on their landing page.
Here they say that it’s Chromium-based:

We make private browsing speedy and smooth. By building our software on Chromium,

Plus, we’re built on Chromium for a smooth,

I’ve installed this browser on Android to double-check. Indeed it is Chromium-based.

I wouldn’t recommend you to use no-name low-popularity browsers. And, oh well, what makes you think it’s more secure than Chrome???

@3QVvxrhnYZ
This is very clearly Fenix:

Maybe the desktop version is indeed Chromium based, but this here Android version is a Firefox fork and I could not find source code for it.

You should be able to access about:support and about:buildconfig to confirm it is Fenix.
Chromium would be chrome://version
But the decompiled code here does not lie.

2 Likes

Okay, I checked now, and yes you are right, my bad. It’s very confusing because they don’t mention anything about their Android version being a Firefox fork.

Yea, only makes them more questionable in my book.

There are many much better browsers with a longer track record, Tempest should not be on the table.

6 Likes

Here’s what they say: Nervous-Assistant873 comments on Tempest Browser - Looking for reviews and information

5 months later still not open-sourced. Definitely bad. Their team however is “transparent”: Tempest