GCP & Do not track

Firefox has these options:

1. Tell web sites not to sell or share my data (referring to Global Privacy Control)
  2. Send web sites a “Do Not Track” reques

Is it worth turning them on? Or are you just making yourself more fingerprintable?

Do not Track is basically a “promise” it sends a header, so yes, it can be fingerprinted.

The better thing to do is sanitize on quit, and just make some exceptions for the sites you want to stay logged in. DNT is enabled when you set browser ETP to strict.

Global Privacy Control is another header like this which is sent. The best thing you can do is sanitize on quit, because again GCP is a promise, “they might” depending on the jurisdiction they’re in.

Clearing all site data on quit is still the best option.

1 Like

As I understand it, GPC is legally binding, in the state of California. DNT is not. The hope is that just like with the GDPR and other aspects of the CCPA (California’s GDPR-like privacy legislation), at least some websites will not bother trying to distinguish California from non-California residents, and will just honor the signal for everyone, but it is too early to judge.

That’s good to know, so it doesn’t add extra fingerprintability when you’ve got ETP = Strict.

Seems like GPC might be more useful than DNT as well if it means someone can get sued.

Adding to this ETP strict will be the default for every privacy focused browser (that I am aware of), enabling GPC should not make you stand out from the group of users that you might possibly have the chance of blending in with.

Seems like GPC might be more useful than DNT as well if it means someone can get sued.

That is my impression.