External HDD/SSD Firmware

Howdy,

So, I did some browsing across this forum and some research in other places, and I realized that for a long time, it never occurred to me that the firmware running on my storage devices such as my portable HDDs, SSDs, and USB flash drives might be updatable. I immediately checked fwupd on my Linux systems, and for external drives, it doesn’t show anything.

Is there perhaps a guide or something of the like that could help me out with this? My portable storage drives range from Samsung to Sandisk to Crucial, and there isn’t much info for updating them on Linux.

You usually can’t update the drive firmware on Linux. The proprietary software necessary to do this usually only comes for Windows and, if you’re lucky, macOS.

I see. Would it be worth the risk to boot into a live Windows USB and update the firmware for each of my devices? I don’t know what the risk is of my personal data being compromised. Though, all my drives are encrypted on the software level.

Any thoughts on my reply? Anyways appreciate you being the only person that at least took the time to answer my post.

some vendors have bootable images specifically for updating firmware of a given drive

if they don’t and support linux just use ubuntu live, if they only support windows, a pe image like hirens bootcd can often get the job done

please do not attempt to update firmware of any devices connected via non-first party enclosures, that can lead to brick

more generally, I do strongly recommend updating firmware of drives if possible, they can have valuable fixes/improvements

also please always backup the contents before doing such updates