Encrypted Client Hello (ECH) launch by Mozilla and Cloudflare

Pretty good explanation of it:

1 Like

Regarding ECH, I am still trying to understand the concept of ECH.

I get it that by enabling ECH in my browser, the other end (the website I visit) has to be ECH enabled too. Otherwise, itā€™s useless.

But if I want to hide the domain name from my VPN using ECH, does the ECH have to be supported from my VPN provider, or does it still have to be supported from each website?

Thanks in advance.

To hide it from your VPN provider each website would have to support it.

1 Like

each website owner has to enable it, but iirc cloudflare has disabled it for now because of some issue.

1 Like

Do note that even with ECH enabled, your VPN provider will be able to see the IP addresses of all the websites/remote servers you connect to (with the exception of those behind cloudflare, a cdn, or some other middle man). So it would offer some protection for some % of websites, but it is not a reliable way to hide the websites you visit from your VPN (even if 100% of websites were to support ECH).

Could you elaborate on your threat model? What your primary motivation for trying to hide your browsing from the VPN itself? I have some thoughts but I want to make sure Iā€™m thinking about the same threats/risks you are before responding.

1 Like

Yes, they disabled it becase of some issues. I donā€™t know whether it will be enabled by default in the future (soon?). And on the client side, if the users use Warp, ECH wonā€™t be usable even if the browser enabled it.

I donā€™t know whether we can expect ECH to change anything. The websites and especially VPN providers that voluntarily enable ECH would probably not want to joke with us in the first place. IMO, the requirement is far too high to make this actually work.

Thanks!

I donā€™t want to put my trust very much on the VPN providers because I donā€™t want to choose between them and my ISP. Both of them are centralized services and we know very little about how they actually work behind the door. Sure, with offerings like an open-source client, no logging policy, diskless servers, etc., including ECH support, would make the service more appealing. But itā€™s still based on assumption and trust model, not by design.

ECH is unreliable at best as websites have to enable it voluntarily. And I donā€™t know whether I can expect browsers to reject a fallback to non-ECH connection in the near future.

Therefore, my threat model is a reasonable (not necessarily maximum/absolute) secure + privacy system by design that isnā€™t based on trust.

I found Tor is a good model, but it has some limitations to be used system-wide and is rejected on some sites. Portmasterā€™s SPN is definitely better than VPN as they mixed community nodes with their managed servers (but their client doesnā€™t seem to work on my openSUSE at all). Mysteriumā€™s dVPN seems to be the best, but I havenā€™t tested it yet.

Now, I use Warp whenever I feel like it. But mostly on just Quad9. Rarely on Tor since it doesnā€™t work on everything.

1 Like

Based on your goals/priorities. I think one potential solution that would be better than relying on ECH, or suffering through full-time system wide TOR experience, might be using two VPNā€™s in combination. At least one of which you pay for anonymously.

This could to some degree emulate some of the benefits of a TOR like system, for less severe threat models. It would essentially be creating your own double hop VPN, but unlike a double hop VPN, you would not be placing your trust in just one entity.

• The first ā€˜hopā€™ would know your IP as well as the IP of the second ā€˜hopā€™ VPN server, but would have no ability to see any of your web or dns traffic, and could not see the IP addresses you connect to beyond the second hop.
  • The second ā€˜hopā€™ could see the IP addresses you connect to, and could see all web traffic leaving their servers (most or all of which would be encrypted with HTTPS (and possibly ECH) and DoH/DoT, but they could not see your true IP address, they would see the IP of the first hop server.

TL;DR

This arrangement would partition trust so that no single service could know both (1) who you are / IP (2) the sites you visit.

Of course the downside of this is the cost of paying for two separate VPNs, and the complexity of using them in combination.

2 Likes

Thanks!

However, instead of buying from / trusting 2 centralized VPNs, would it be better to use a decentralized VPN?

The latter would run on fully decentralized nodes, of which the provider has no control or whatsoever, providing it runs open-source on both the nodes and the clients sides.

I think we are getting further and further off topic (its my fault, you asked about ECH, I proposed something else) which should probably be its own topic. Is the Decentralized VPN you are thinking about an actual thing that exists? Or a hypothetical?

To my unexpert ear, it sounds roughly similar to Appleā€™s private relay (in concept)

1 Like

Thereā€™s Safing, which is sort of in between iCloud+ Private Relay and Tor, and thereā€™s INVISV Relay which is just Appleā€™s solution but for Android.

These multi-party relays are a concept that I think will (or at least should) probably start becoming more popular, because itā€™s a clear fit for a lot of companies. In fact, I wish all these companies who have been partnering with Mullvad lately would do this instead. Like instead of Mozilla VPN or Tailscale connecting you directly to Mullvadā€™s endpoint, if your traffic was first routed to servers owned by Mozilla or Tailscale or whoever, and then relayed to Mullvadā€™s endpoints, that would be very cool. That way the end user only has to pay one party, and that party handles paying Mullvad.

5 Likes

Is the Decentralized VPN you are thinking about an actual thing that exists? Or a hypothetical?

Thereā€™s Mysterium. All the source codes are available on their GitHub. It runs on real people internet/nodes. Those people get paid from running their nodes. Itā€™s Web 3.0 for VPN, similar to Storj for cloud storage. It has 7 days trial, which I havenā€™t try it yet.

Sure, it seems off-topic now :sweat_smile:

Safingā€™s Portmaster SPN is still running on some of Safing managed servers. And I believe those servers are the majority of the network power, since community nodes donā€™t get paid. See more about this here.

Itā€™s still better than a centralized VPN, though.