Discussion on VPN choice and most correct use

I everyone! I’ve used a VPN from 3 years by now, my choice was because I’m used to connect to different and probably unsafe WiFi networks, because I work on mobility. Now I want to switch to a VPN that is mentioned on the PG site, such Mullvad or IVPN. But I’m thinking: how can this tunnel connection make me more “recognizable”, for example in a situation like the airport or a similar place, by the software control on the WiFi network I’m connected? (That target me a “false positive”)
This make me thinking: maybe I should use a more “legit” VPN ( like Nord) and than I re-tunnel with another one? Does this one look that stupid?
Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t think any of this really matters. The only case relating to this that I’m aware of is the Harvard hoax bomb threat (Use of Tor helped FBI ID suspect in bomb hoax case | Ars Technica).

In all other cases, it doesn’t matter whether you are using Mullvad, NordVPN, Cryptostorm, or any other VPN provider for that matter. Chances are your device is going to leak more information by connecting to public Wi-Fi or by scanning for SSIDs, especially if the networks you connected to in the past were hidden networks.

The primary threat here as I see it are MITM attacks, which is prevented by any of the above VPN providers. Aside from that, I wouldn’t worry about it, unless you have a more specific and higher level threat model.

3 Likes

Do you live in a country where using a VPN is illegal or dangerous?

3 Likes

thank you for your answer, very helpful for my understanding

no I’m not