Discussion about underrated Open source applications Vol.1

I found some underrated apps and i thought it would be a nice thing to put them in a spotlight and talk about them from differant prespectives.

First one is Netbird which is used to make a virtual VPN making local network and i found it useful in games that have local co-op mode, And this is their official website

Second one is RustDesk The open source alternative to TeamViewer and AnyDesk, It is used to display and control your PC, Android and IOS devices from anywhere at anytime. Works out of the box, no configuration required, And btw “Mental Outlaw” Talked about them earlier, And this is their official website.

Third one is FreeFileSync which is a folder comparison and synchronization software that creates and manages backup copies of all your important files. Instead of copying every file every time, FreeFileSync determines the differences between a source and a target folder and transfers only the minimum amount of data needed, Btw the donations version has some extra features, And this is thier official website.

Fourth one is Safe Space, Which is an app that creates a separate place on your android device to store valuable files. This storage location is not visible to other apps and is encrypted by the system by default.

And finally Web Check which is a website that helps you getting an insight into the inner-workings of a given website: uncover potential attack vectors, analyse server architecture, view security configurations, and learn what technologies a site is using, And that is their official website.

Disclaimer:
This thread is not sponsored and i don’t even know any of these apps’ developers, Those are just some great applications i found.

7 Likes

This needs to be a thing, but for all open source software, not restricted to privacy-focused software, and I think I have seen some lists like this on Github.

I have envisioned a concept like FreeFileSynx before, glad to know software like that exists. I find that software that can find the differences between files or whatever it be, and help direct you toward the exact differences, are extremely powerful. Definitely a future in this sector.

1 Like

ctrl f for open source; at least some of these lists also just happen to focus on FOSS/OSS apps by default

1 Like

Thanks legend.

I’ve been recently thinking about controlling my raspberry pi remotely (local) so I don’t have to switch the monitor’s hdmi cable from one device to the pi and back so RustDesk is one app that I discovered when I was looking for options. Seems like a good choice. Though I am still wondering if there are other apps that could be a better (=easier to setup and use) choice to solve that problem.

These bookmarks I have came to mind:

GitHub - pluja/awesome-privacy: Awesome Privacy - A curated list of services and alternatives that respect your privacy because PRIVACY MATTERS.

GitHub - Lissy93/awesome-privacy: :unicorn: A curated list of privacy & security-focused software and services

GitHub - awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted: A list of Free Software network services and web applications which can be hosted on your own servers

GitHub - awesome-foss/awesome-sysadmin: A curated list of amazingly awesome open-source sysadmin resources.

1 Like

Two thumbs up for FreeFileSync. Have used them since W7, still using in W11. This is like a backup-lite. Even works with Android.

1 Like