Cromite (Bromite fork)

Thanks, yes I was wondering if that was the issue because of the mismatched versions. It looks like they’re grabbing the current win64 stable channel version though, shouldn’t that approach work?

That is a fair point, it is nice Brave has a whole team vs. Cromite being only maintained by 1 person. I guess it just comes down to how well uazo by himself can maintain the browser and keep it updated. You’ve proven it can be successfully done through your projects, so I wonder if he’s also able to keep up.

I wonder if uazo is aware? Seems like he should consider re-enabling it then for sure if it can be fixed.

I used to use Bromite - until it ceased active development.
I currently use Cromite and Ungoogled Chromium (Download latest stable Chromium binaries (64-bit and 32-bit))
Cromite indicates when an update is available, UC does not.
Both seem quick to update to latest Chromium builds, but can lag for a few days at times.
I presently use whichever of these two is most up to date as my default browser, with Mull (via F-Droid) as a fallback.
There is very little mention on PG of the Android build of UC.
It works very well and should also be discussed.

Those “ungoogled” Chromium releases on Android are just Cromite builds that are built by somebody else.

Derived from https://github.com/uazo/cromite/tree/002dc9166f20c34dc2ea87004712725e9e4bc3b0

That woolyss.com site has been around a long time - well before uazo and Cromite.
I don’t know enough to confirm if they previously used Bromite to build their UC or weather some Bromite patches only.
Edit: are you saying that Android UC from woolyss is identical to Cromite from Uazo?

They did previously use Bromite, and now use Cromite yes. I don’t know if it’s identical or if they make other changes, because they don’t seem to publish their own source code (but that makes me assume it is identical).

In the link above it says that it’s built from Cromite’s source code :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, that’s one less app needed!
Thanks Jonah!

Those macchrome releases are worse than just rebuilds, they are longterm GPL violators: Source code · Issue #5 · macchrome/droidchrome · GitHub

2 Likes

I just tried out Cromite, and I think it would be a good recommendation. Are there any concerns regarding Cromite?

That’s a good thing, no? :slightly_smiling_face:

@You_will_own_nothing
Different context.
32-bit is dead on traditional computers, but most <2017 phones are still 32-bit and are in active use.
There are even some new budget phones today that are sadly still 32-bit.

edit: to add
32-bit on Android is a bit worse than 64-bit compared to desktop
Android 10 and higher adds the scudo hardened memory allocator which is far more effective under 64-bit. The GrapheneOS hardened_malloc is also 64-bit only.

My mom’s new Samsung phone is 32-bit. The moment I found out, I was furious. Not only is it full of bloatware, but it is also 32-bit. What a horrible company!

2 Likes

Well, ARM no longer makes new 32-bit CPU cores, so we won’t have to put up with that for too much longer.

1 Like

Is anything decided about Cromite?

I want to leave Brave, but I am yet to see how Cromite compares to it.

https://divestos.org/pages/browsers

1 Like

As far as the link goes, Cromite is just as good as Brave, except Brave got better fingerprinting protection. How important is this difference between them?

Personally I would go with the stronger fingerprinting protection, but I am no expert. You could also use a Gecko based browser if you are OK with that. You could also ask SkewedZepplin, the creator of DivestOS, your question if you have any specific qustions about the browser comparison page since they have an account on this forum.

Off topic

1. Someone asked on X/Twitter regarding installing and configuring GrapheneOS.

2. An account disguising as official Cromite Browser account suggested instead to check eOS devices.

3. GrapheneOS account confronted.

4. Then that account added in his bio that it is an unofficial account.

I don’t have github account.
Can someone please ping uazo about this?

https://twitter.com/CromiteBrowser/status/1735653647428485314

Is there any corelation between this ?

1 Like

No problem! I’ll talk to him about this.

Maybe, maybe not.

Edit : Done!

2 Likes

These are not recommended on Android on PG, for good security reasons.

2 Likes