Brave update brings Leo, its AI assisstant based on LLaMA

" Introducing Brave Leo, the smart AI assistant built right into the browser. Whether you’re looking for information, trying to solve a problem, or asking for video transcripts or interactive article summaries, Leo can help.

Chats in Leo aren’t used for training purposes, and no one can review your conversations. With Leo, you get a seamless AI experience and unparalleled privacy."

2 Likes

Hope someone could build a Brave fork without Leo AI, Crypto reward, …

1 Like

That’s not very likely to happen. The good news is: it’s all opt-in and once the buttons etc. are hidden they never bother you about it again.

8 Likes

Tbh, I think the opposite. You can run LLAMA 17b in your laptop, but most of people won’t do that. So, I found this feature very useful. It’s much better than ChatGPT with regard to privacy and accessible via side panel.
For the crypto, I don’t like it, too, but as @Valynor points out all is opt-in, so you just need to disable them once and you won’t be bothered.

1 Like

I like crypto, so I like Brave. I hope Brave improve their wallet a lot more, so I can use it as my main wallet. It’s still far from that, though.

Nevertheless, Brave is a good example of why Chromium-based browsers other than Chrome should exist.

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to be the case , i just did a fresh setup of brave and had to toggle off Leo from multiple settings. Some can be found enabled by default even on existing installs. For example-

The overall number of configurations that need to be changed from default in Brave browser has increased a lot .
Its a just an annoyance now to spend much time on doing the right configurations.

I am not sure how many of these privacy configurations for brave , PG could keep on adding.

There are even more configurations which are more Mobile specific , which may need to be changed.

I used to rely on Brave sync for my work flow , but it will become a lot harder now to use Brave on all platforms.

2 Likes

Personally, I am not a fan of Llama due to it not being open source: Meta’s LLaMa 2 license is not Open Source - Voices of Open Source

@pika Even if Leo is enabled, it would still ask for your consent on first opening. Plus you can use it with knowledge of your webpages - or without. That being said, do someone have details about Brave Leo ? They say it is inference but I have no idea how private the system is.

1 Like

It is now switched to Mixtral. I checked only with code generation and I like it Brave Leo, the AI browser assistant, now features Mixtral for improved performance | Brave

2 Likes