Brave leaking timezone

Brave browser for Linux leaks my timezone. How can a timezone be spoofed without changing the system time? I know that you can use TZ environment variable to launch Brave with the desired timezone, but is it possible to make this setting permanent?

It is better you do follow your current but it can be done only via Extensions but it adds more attack surface. Brave doesn’t spoof Timezone as it might confuse users using Applications on the web.

Consider that many users will likely have the same time zone and this alone probably is not identifying you.

If this is part of your thread model. I would suggest you to look into Arkenfox’ user.js profile instead. It provides more advantageous hardening against options like these.

I would not recommend to make any further modifications with add-ons in Brave. This will not help your case.

Consider that many users will likely have the same time zone and this alone probably is not identifying you.

It can possibly be revealing that system time doesn’t match VPN timezone.

Firefox resistfingerprinting addresses this by broadcasting UTC time…

This is not an area I know a lot about, so hopefully someone smarter can elaborate!

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1322612

1 Like